State results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State results

Default State results

Hi Group;

Many times our state print competitions are harder than PPA. That was the case on Sunday. I am anxious to hear what the judges have to say this afternoon during the print critique. My four prints got four awards of quality ... 4 red ribbons. I had two (dreaded) 79's, a 78, and a 77. At our state competitions I've seen images that were PPA merit images, or even dupes of images in the loan collection, get only into the 70's

For anyone who has never entered a competition ... don't hold back. Enter as soon as possible somewhere so you get some experience. And don't let scores get to you. You never know what will or will not score well or appeal to the judges. I hope to hear about a lot of results from others .. especially first timers !

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP
    floryphotog@mindspring.com

Default rookie experience

I entered print competition for the first time in the NH state print competition. The judging was tough, indeed. I feel quite fortunate to have come away with 3 merits (blue ribbons) and 3 red ribbons. Listening to the challenges was fascinating, as it's the only real insight you have into the judges' minds. My lowest scoring print, a 76, was brought back out by one of the judges for a thrashing. Fortunately, one of the other judges "got it" and defended it and it wasn't downgraded after all, but man, it was tough getting beat up by the "mean" judge.

I really enjoyed going through the print exhibit afterwards. Lots of really fine work, and quite a number in the 76-79 category that looked merit-worthy to me. It was also gratifying to hear other photographers referring to one of my prints that scored 78 as being an example of a print that was underscored.

Definitely a learning experience. Hopefully I'll be better prepared next year.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

After agonizing for years and being pushed by several friends with the Master title, I entered four prints in the Heart of America convention for the four states of Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska and Missouri.

I came away with two 78s, an 82 and an 83. I wish I could have been there for the judging as one of the 78s was deemed to be the best print by most who viewed them. I'd love to have heard their thoughts!

In any case, I'm thrilled with the results and getting ready to send the two off to the next level and left wondering what other two I should send....the same two 78s? Or two new ones? www.exais.com/comp

Linda Gregory
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

Default Just to be sure ...

Hi Linda;

I just wanted to 100% sure ... the 4 images in the link ... we are to give our choice of which two of those to add to the two that you already have a merit on ?

Congratulations on your merits. It is a good feeling knowing they already have PPA merits ... you just send them to PPA and they are automatically merit prints !

Quote Originally Posted by D. Craig Flory
    Congratulations on your merits. It is a good feeling knowing they already have PPA merits ... you just send them to PPA and they are automatically merit prints !

Craig-

Does this apply to state affiliate conventions, or only regional conventions? When I was at our state convention last weekend, one of the other photographers told me that state convention merits don't count as PPA merits.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Mark,

I believe since you are in New Hampshire the state merits do not count for national but if you enter the PPANE affiliated comp then they will count. the PPANE competition is September 18 and 19, 2006.

check the PPANE website at www.ppane.com

I know that here in MD the state merits do not count but the SEPPA merited prints do, as long as the are entered in the next National Competition. PA is the same way but there in need to enter in to the Mid East.

I compete in both MD and PA state competitions ( I am a member of both )

John Stein

Quote Originally Posted by D. Craig Flory
    Hi Linda;

I just wanted to 100% sure ... the 4 images in the link ... we are to give our choice of which two of those to add to the two that you already have a merit on ?

My apologies! The first and last were the approved prints, 82 and 83 respectively. The two middle ones both recieved 78 and an honorable mention ( it was explained to me that at our regional, a print doesn't automatically get an honorable mention if it has 'high but not quite there' scores, only to ones one or more judges felt should have scored higher. Knowing that makes me think maybe I should send them on yet, maybe I should start fresh with new ideas?
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

Default Ahhh my first case...PEC Judge, DONT READ!!!

Let's see, I sent my first ever case this year to the Western States http://www.ppw.org/ Regional competition held in Washingon state. We get automatic PEC seal's since it was the official regional competition.

I lucked out and got an 88/86/80/78 the 88 was the best wedding entry and honor court. The 86 was the judges award... I'm kindda sad that the 78 was a 78 since it got 83's in both local associations that I belong to

Anyway's, the goal is to get 4/4 at internationals and hopefully (cross our fingers) get a loan or two...

Oh BTW, if anyone has time, please chime in on what I should enter in place of the 78...

This : Left Hanging

or This: Golden Gate Romance

or just keep the 78 which was this: Brick and Mortar Babe

Which one do you guys think will more than likely get the thumbs up?
    Last edited by Marc_Benjamin; 05-09-2006 at 08:09 AM.
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

Marc,

Did the judge comment On why it was a 78

I like the Image But I would Change the name

To maybe Brick House!

Also And this could be a Posting thing so take it with a grain of salt

Is there a shine above her left eye if so soften it

as I said I like the image and thing it could be a merit
    “The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” Henry David Thoreau

Default My take on them ...

Hi Marc;

I see why it was a 78. I would have taken off points for her awkward hand position. I would suggest entering the couple below the Golden Gate Bridge. However ... it will not do well with a low-key background behind a hi-key subject layer. I've re-worked it how I see it. I hope this helps. If it gets a merit ... you owe me a cup of coffee. *S*

When I was stationed, as a photographer, at Hamilton AFB at Novato, I loved doing images of the bridge. One view that was awsome was from the Air Force Installation on top of Mt. Tamalpais. It was cool how you could only see the tops when the fog rolled in.

If you would like an opinion out your way ... David Peters is one of the best photographers in the world and is in San Rafael. If he is NOT a judge for the PPA maybe you could ask for his opinion. I've always thought he was the closest photographer to artist Andrew Wyeth I've ever seen. (And he is originally from my state of Pa.)

Good luck;

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog, ASP
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by D._Craig_Flory; 05-09-2006 at 12:49 PM.