Why I haven't joined the PPA. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Why I haven't joined the PPA.

My fellow colleagues have made some great points about PPA membership, so I really don't want this to come off the wrong way, but I'm curious to know why your first post on a forum that is organized by PPA seems so terribly antagonistic? Call me a simple girl, but I tend to focus on the things an organization like PPA can do for me, rather than focus on the bar of entry. I just received my first degree from PPA last week, and can honestly say that I would not be the photographer I am today without this organization and the things it has directly and indirectly provided for me.

Frankly, I've seen folks who have been shooting professionally for 20+ years who are terrible photographers... and newbies who are just learning how to run a business and are amazing photographers. PPA provides for both ends of that spectrum, as evidenced by the talent on this forum.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now, but I just found the post to be a bit off-putting, so I had to chime in.

I did a search for photogs in my area, and I see horrible images in a couple of the portfolios. Just because you have a digital camera and working knowledge of Photoshop doesn't make you a photographer. There are many "photographers" like that here.

What other benefits does membership have?

I, like Heather, don't quite understand why you would want to join a forum that is run by an organization that you do not want to join. PPA has a lot to offer - more than any other photographic organization. I have been a PPA member for 31 years, and I really don't understand your position or your opposition to PPA. And if you are that opposed to PPA, then why are you posting on the PPA forum??????

If you're wondering what PPA does, how about...
    Professional Indemnification Trust - basically a malpractice insurance that costs all of $50 per year.
    A Life Insurance Program
    Equipment Insurance Program
    Representation on an industry level in Washington
    The PPA merits and degree program
    The PPA Certification Program
    PPA Charities
    Discounts on Credit Cards, Shipping, and Insurance
    Special offers through their vendor supporters that are only available to PPA members
    The PPA National Convention and Expo - the ultimate networking opportunity
    The International Print Competition and International Exhibition
    The Our PPA.com forum that you are currently utilizing
    And a bunch of other things that I didn't think of....

Anyone else want to chime in with things that I forgot ???

I probably forgot a few benefits, but just the ones that I've listed more than covers our membership dues...

Just my opinion, of course...
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 01-17-2010 at 04:45 AM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLux View Post
    I did a search for photogs in my area, and I see horrible images in a couple of the portfolios. Just because you have a digital camera and working knowledge of Photoshop doesn't make you a photographer. There are many "photographers" like that here.

What other benefits does membership have?
    Have you taken the time to click on the BENEFITS tab and look.

Hello

Welcome to OurPPA.com. I can't help but wonder in light of a thread called "Instant Professional Photographers" that you are just pulling our legs. But in that thread, I've argued there should be novice/apprentice membership for those just entering the profession. However, where do you draw the line. At a bare minimum, the requirement should be operating legally in your home state, whatever those requirements are. However, the only way to change an organization is from within as a voting member. So come on in, join, take advantage of the benefits and work for the changes you desire.
    Regards,
    Howard Kier, CPP Weddings, ABI, MBA and DAD
    Magical Moments Photography

Howard,
    The instant photographer thread is in the members only section, so Lady Lux as a non-member could not have read it. The timing, coupled with the no real name, does make it seem a little suspicious but weird coincidences do happen.
    As far as the members voting on it - when as a member have you ever voted on anything? Your only vote as a member is for your state councilors. The councilors then elect the board of directors and vote on bylaw issues. Procedural issues are handled by the board or the committeees. I do believe this change would be a bylaw issue. I also believe the only way you could ever get it to pass council is if the board of directors were in favor of it. Because it seems like the main motive is to get the most members possible, I would be surprised if the board would ever support an idea that may limit membership even slightly. There are benefits to us to have a large membership and the board has to weigh the benefits against the drawbacks of every decision. While I agree there should be a requirment of a tax number or business permit, I think the board's feelings would be that the strength they have from a large membership, when lobbying on capital hill, inticing sposors for IUSA, advertisers for the magazine etc, outweighs the benefit of requiring that membership to operate their businesses legally. I don't know if I would agree with that, but then I am not on the board and not privy to the whole picture.
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

I am not on the board and not privy to the whole picture.
    I nominate Keith for the board!
    Regards,
    Howard Kier, CPP Weddings, ABI, MBA and DAD
    Magical Moments Photography

I'm going to try and keep this simple after the round-and-round we've had in the Instant Photographers thread. I had dinner with The PPA Director of membership on Friday and this whole issue came up. Her stance was that no barrier to entry was on the table or would likely be considered. The reason being that above all the mission of PPA is education. Remember, this isn't an organization that is certifying professionalism, its an organization that is trying to cultivate and educate on the issue of professionalism. An empty punishment of exclusivity works counter to the baseline mission of the organization.

Plus, there are other methods or proving your worth that the organization provides.

- trr

Remember, this isn't an organization that is certifying professionalism, its an organization that is trying to cultivate and educate on the issue of professionalism.
    Because there is an organization that certifies professionalism--there is no need for two of them. The existence of a separate organization for that purpose liberates PPA to the purpose of indoctrination (which is not a bad word).
    --Elephants can swim...
    ...and very gracefully.
    Knowing that,
    I do believe
    Anything is possible for me.

Kirk Darling, CPP

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLux View Post
    So really, it seems that your complaint is more the free market, than the way that PPA is setup? If you are what you call a "photographer", and they are not, than what difference is it to you? Everybody has to start somewhere! If they are really that bad, then they aren't really your competition are they?

I find it amusing that somebody who knows absolutely nothing about an organization, and obviously spent little time researching it would trash it. Trolling from another organization perhaps?