Why I haven't joined the PPA.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Why I haven't joined the PPA.

The PPA has no qualifications to join other than a membership fee. Any person who spent $50 to $5000 on a digital camera can join and call themselves a photographer. Why not have a panel that reviews portfolios before membership is granted?

edited to add: I did not know all these benefits came with membership. I am sorry for this negative initial post. I am very embarrassed. Please delete it and my registration. I am going to do more research and try again
    Last edited by LadyLux; 01-17-2010 at 05:02 PM.

Default Re: Why I haven't joined the PPA.

So, what's the point of the portfolio...what's the point of having a process that will "grant" you membership...? And how would you ever create standards for admission? I understand what you are saying about everyone with a camera calling themselves a photographer. But, it's up to us to separate ourselves based on the quality of the work we can provide on a day to day basis.

Everyone has to start somewhere and everyone is at different points in the tunnel. When I first joined PPA many years ago I thought I was a pretty decent photographer. I soon learned that most of my stuff was crap...! If there was a process like you want to implement in place when I first joined I doubt very seriously if I would have measured up to any sort of review standards. And...I think that would be very true for a lot of very talented photographers in this industry. I can't speak for the others but I didn't wake up one day as a professional photographers. It took years of study and a whole lot of hard work and dedication to the "craft" of photography.

Like I said...everyone has to start somewhere and start their own journey so to speak. I'm sure that there are others who can say this much more eloquently but my opinion is that if it wasn't for PPA the many good things that happened to me this year would never have happened.

I thank God for the many dedicated and talented people within PPA who took an interest in me and who mentored me over the years. And to the people who run this organization...what an incredible task to take on. And so many who do this strickly as volunteers.

I have always believed that you get out of an organization what you put into it. I know that in our own state organization it is so hard to get people involved. I also know that in my case that when I did get involved it opened so many doors for me because I was willing to "pay it forward" so to speak.

I hope that someday you will reconsider you decision and join PPA. There are always good characteristics and bad to any organization...no matter who they are. I just think the positives far outweigh the negatives in the case of PPA.

The opportunities for education and mentors is endless within PPA and I hope that someday you will chose to take advantage of those benefits.
    Last edited by Joe_Campanellie; 01-16-2010 at 09:06 PM.
    Joe Campanellie
    CPP, M.Photog., Cr., Fellow-ASP

www.campanellies.com

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLux View Post
    The PPA has no qualifications to join other than a membership fee. Any person who spent $50 to $5000 on a digital camera can join and call themselves a photographer. Why not have a panel that reviews portfolios before membership is granted?
    Is that kind of like the old Groucho Marx joke: "I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member?"

The purpose of PPA is not particularly to ensure a minimum level of photographic competence--there are other reasons the PPA exists and more impotrant reasons to join it.

We have an organization dedicated to elevating the competence of the profession: The Professional Photographic Certification Commission (www.certifiedphotographer.com) and PPA fully endorses it.

This is where the line is drawn in the sand. Anyone is truly interested in an organization that is dedicated to elevating the technical competence of the profession will put his money where his mouth is and get certified. Otherwise, it's just an excuse.

For those who want to learn the craft and get certified, as Joseph has said, PPA provides the means.
    --Elephants can swim...
    ...and very gracefully.
    Knowing that,
    I do believe
    Anything is possible for me.

Kirk Darling, CPP

Any person who spent $50 to $5000 on a digital camera can join and call themselves a photographer.
    Any person who has not joined the PPA can call themselves a photographer.

So why limit yourself because of what some else may or may not do....?
    Don
    M.Photog., Cr., CPP, D.C.Ph.

www.donchick.com

Don't join for the reasons you posted, join for all the many things that the PPA does and stands for and the things it does to protect you. The indemnity insurance alone is worth the price of membership. This issue of criteria to become a member is being beaten to death in another thread. I have my own opinion on the subject but the fact is, I will always be a member for all the other reasons this incredible organization does and stands for. Like car insurance, I wouldn't be caught dead without my PPA membership. They've got my back.

I consider myself a photographer, but by no means a professional.

A year & a half ago I spent a lot of time reading a photography book that contained the how & how-to's of running the business side. I thought I had a pretty good grasp on things until it exposed me to PPA.

If the PPA had qualifications, I wouldn't have a chance... I am already at ground zero. By joining, watching & listening to the professionals that dedicate a ton of time on this forum, that alone has enhanced my knowledge of what I NEED to accomplish within the next year. (As you can see, the previous 4 Professionals to post on this thread nearly post on every thread, THANKS!)

I don't believe I can accomplish what I want in the next year, but I definitely know where I stand & what I need to study harder & longer (giggitty).

On top of all that, attending Imaging USA this year filled my head with knowledge & my notebook with ink. The great advice that was shared by the many talented Professionals left me with an overwhelmed feeling of where to go next.

I am one of those photographers that had no direction before joining the PPA. Allowing students of the profession like me to join has & will make me a better photographer. Hopefully one day I can consider myself a professional of the trade.

Joe, Kirk, Don, Ron, B. Phil,
    Hope I did not miss a post. Could not be stated any better, than any of you. I too was so green when I joined PPA. I was more green when I joined my local state affiliate; my arm was twisted, by one saying study and take Certified test; I did and maintained it since; I was asked to be the liaison; I did not say no; I was asked to do other tasks, and kept saying yes, but I stalled a few times and then said I accept.
    There are so many things that will never be forgotten by me for being member. I've met many who are here, in person, and such a loss, if I never met!!!
    It's a members learning organization. There is a natural attrition. A trade association, if I am using the correct term, should never be exclusive.

LadyLux, this was your first post, but have you been lurking and reading posts? If not, hang in, there are some incredible people involved.
    Last edited by George_Hawkins; 01-17-2010 at 12:01 AM.
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

There is the certification process, if you want something like that.

This may sound a little harsh, but it is your loss. You really don't know what you are missing out on. I have just come out of the financially hardest year in my business' short three year life, and I can tell you that there was NO WAY my PPA membership was going to expire. Try it for a year. I'll bet you'll renew.

Doesn't OurPPA have qualifications? Like a full name?

Interesting idea. This would bring up the discussion of what make a photog a pro. That discussion would guarantee all kinds of really irritated people.... the challenge for any organization would be who's taste/criteria would be used to make the decision? You're right, PPA membership does not mean someone is a pro, nor does certification. Bottom line, it's up to you to show your clients your a pro, not PPA.