What is the must do for a newbee

Default What is the must do for a newbee

Hi all. I just joined PPA and signed up for the convention. I live in Nashville so I didn't want to let this pass me by. I'm a middle aged married guy that is trying to get a photography career off the ground and am hoping this is a place to give me a jump start. I've been learning my craft and have acquired some strobes (Alien Bees, what else would a Nashville photog have?) so my question is, what is the must do things to do at this convention that would benefit me the most? I've been looking over the class schedule and I wish I could go to all of them but of course that's not possible. My interests are in portraiture, but I'm not wanting to do weddings. The Adobe classes look very interesting as I could always use more info on how to use photoshop. Posing and lighting ideas are always helpful too. Marketing and business strategies are probably what I could use the most. How to run a studio, although I don't really have a studio. My home is my studio, but I am mobile and can do on-location. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: What is the must do for a newbee

Call Jim Dingwell 1-866-591-9190 and sign up for the one on one mentoring with a PPA affiliate juror. THis is generally billed as help for print competition but what a lot of people don't realize and don't take advantage of is that it's also a great way to get help and advise on all aspects of your work, not just print competition. Where else can you set down with an industry leader and get a personal consultation for free?

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Marketing and business strategies are probably what I could use the most. How to run a studio
    IMHO this is THE one you should not miss January 7 & 8th The business of Photography from PPAs Studio Management Services.
    It is a precon class and does cost extra, but well worth it.

The EXPO. All those vendors and floor speakers....it's an incredible experience. Try to schedule time after IUSA to digest everything you learned/heard....you will be so inspired.

Like Keith recommended, the print mentoring is a must.

Have fun,
    Chontelle

Thanks. I'll call Mr. Dingwell tomorrow and get signed up for that.

I saw the classes for Business of Photography but thought I've spent enough for now. I see they have those classes in Atlanta each month and maybe I'll look into that someday.

Thanks for the info. I'm really looking forward to this.

Mike -
    If you look at the schedule of classes, they're actually broken down into different "tracks" like Adobe, Business, Portrait, Wedding, and Stock/Commercial.

If you need help in a specific area, focusing on that "track" will help you out a lot!

Here's a link to the class listing, in case you haven't seen it (scroll down to where it says "Imaging USA"): http://imagingusa.org/classes/

Default Most of All

Mike, welcome to your first convention!

Since this is your first, I recommend that you just take it all in and enjoy the experience. Pick the lectures you might be interested in, take your time at the trade show and get to know the vendors you might want to do business with. Attend as many of the social activities as possibles, like the two fabulous parties and the awards ceremony (a must go-see).

What I would wish for you to do, is to create friendships and get to know your fellow photographers like the ones here on this forum, many will be at the OurPPA gathering!

Doing all these different things, especially the friendships, is what keeps us coming back year after year. It's the overall experience of Imaging that helps to energize you to get your business going with lots of positive energy.

Have fun! And see you there!
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com