Do I take my camera to the convention? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Do I take my camera to the convention?

Kirsten-
    I just asked the question about shooting with the pros and someone who took it last year said to bring the camera.

So, yes for shooting with the pros and no for regular convention?

For most of the programs, PPA does not allow photography or videography.
    David K. Dismukes, CPP

Ok.. then Yes for Speed Shooting and No for lugging around all day.

scares me knowing that people know this is a photog conference and that all the vehicles probably have cameras in them!! Let's see.. park where there is a lot of traffic and light ?

Cindy and Heather.. look for me there!

Looking forward to meeting you guys at Speed Shooting

Keith I am so glad you mentioned the photographing of others prints! That was the number one most shocking thing I saw at my first convention 4 years ago! I could not believe people actually directly shot other people's images, for "inspiration" I guess? But OMG, you can't do that anywhere else in the world! No gallery, studio, drawing class, etc. would not think that was strange given all the talk about "originality" and oh yeah that thing called "copyright"! They even blur the images on the walls on HGTV unless they have permission to show them on TV! It almost made me reject the entire PPA enterprise because, as an artist first, and a PPA member way later, my sense of right was seriously assaulted. Now I realize 90% of folks never do anything with those shots, but hey, how many umbrella images from San Antonio appeared at the PRint Exhibit the last 2 years? Don't you think some people thought, oh I've got one kind of like that--I'll photo this one that merited and see if I can make mine work?

OTOH, GOL's policy is ridiculous at a photog's convention, but the rest of the year when they're dealing with folks using their property as a set, it makes sense. To the question at hand, a p-s is fine for the floor, but I always travel with my real gear anyway. It's insured, I keep it in my room (don't tell any thieves!), and I almost always come home with at least one image that makes bringing my gear worth the trouble (usually has nothing to do with the convention though, just the location). I don't bring it to classes or the expo though--

E