Do I take my camera to the convention? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Do I take my camera to the convention?

Joe, the copyright issue might be a little hazy in this case. I argue that as well, but others say that we are there to share info and images, so copyright doesn't apply. What about all the snapshots of competition prints? I agree with you, but also understand that it maye not be a simple prohibition.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Duenkel View Post
    What about all the snapshots of competition prints?
    This is just my personal opinion. If somebody wants to take a snapshot of themselves standing by their own print in the show that should be ok. If parts of a couple other prints accidently show up in the corner of that snapshot, I don't think anybody should get upset. What I don't think is right is the people going around copying prints out of the show. How would those people feel if someone walked into their studio and started copying their prints on the walls? To me it's just not ethical but maybe I am too uptight. I think if you want to keep copies of the prints in the show for inspiration or learning then buy the Loan and Showcase books. I think if people just photograph the prints for themselves that is exactly the same as clients wanting to copy and make prints for themselves instead of paying the photographer. Where did photographers get the idea that they can copy others work even though they would be upset if a client did it to them? If you are using it, you are using it, whether it's to give to grandma, hang on your own wall or just look at for inspiration and learning. If you want to use it, pay for it.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

keith
    wow, i never thought of this. at some conventions i did exactly what you are talking about. that is photographed some of the prints-just for ideas & inspiration.
    never did anything with them, never would.
    never thought anyone would be offended, guess i was wrong.
    will certainly reconsider next time.
    joe
    Last edited by Joe_Galioto; 12-29-2009 at 08:40 PM.

Keith, I agree. If it is to use as inspiration they need to buy the showcase and loan books.
    Sarah L. Johnston, M. Photog. Cr., CPP, F-PPANI, PPA Juror

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops,
    PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!

Sarah,

You're bringing your camera right?
    john

As far as others taking shots during the walk through I'm sure some will be protective, but you are not ever going to stop it. Not with all the gadgetry out there now....

I honestly don't care. If someone wants to take a snap of my image that has been adjusted to be under the judge's lighting more power to them. I always feel like (my shots especially) don't represent themselves well on display anyway and if they did I screwed up for comp. Besides, I don't want to shoot that shot again anyway...
    john

When in doubt, ask the maker. It should be common courtesy to ask permission to copy their idea/image.

I've seen people carry their DSLR, even myself a few times; BUT it becomes very cumbersome. All depends on what one has for a compact & quality P&S, and a shoulder bag, as I like to carry trade show brochures and my water bottle, along with the camera.
    I agree with Fuzzy, but I'd never copy one print w/o maker; I'd capture a small group.
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

Thank you all.. I really appreciate it! I think one of my big hangups is the size of my cameras.. Sony A350 is my small one then I have the Canon 50D which I am very protective of! Not sure I care to carry it on my back all day, but the thought of leaving it in a room or in my car is far less appealing and risky. Driving there so I can make that decision on the fly, but still not sure. Does help to know that we don't need them for the programs though.

Does anyone know if Speed Shooting with the Pros will actually be shooting with them or is it more of a lecture type of thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Duenkel View Post
    When in doubt, ask the maker. It should be common courtesy to ask permission to copy their idea/image.
    There's going to be 12,000+ there right? Good luck finding them. I suggest the PA system and ask them to pick up the white courtesy phone.
    john