Do I take my camera to the convention?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do I take my camera to the convention?

I know that must be a really dumb question but with hours like 700a to 11p.. do people really drag their cameras around all day? I am not staying at the resort, so I just want to make sure I do this all the right way. Don't wanna miss a thing.

If you do take your camera...is it to capture the event, or is it helpful to have the equipment in the classes?

Can someone please advise?//

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Do I take my camera to the convention?

I am thinking of taking my new canon g11. And maybe another case in the trunk for "just in case".
    Missy
    website~Melissa E. Wertz Photography
    blog~Images by "Missy"

And one day I will combined them on a splash page making it really simple. :-)

I'd bring a pocket sized point-and-hope just to record the event as a whole. It's a lot less weight to carry around all day and there will be few if any opportunities for you to photograph anything during the programs. Live video recording of programs is generally not permitted. If you are taking any pre-convention classes you will need to check with your instructor as your instructor may have actual shooting planned. Now if you're planning to do any photography in the area around the convention, then you'll need to plan accordingly.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Another thing to keep in mind is that Gaylord, Like many places these days, has a pretty restrictive official photography policy when it comes to pro gear being used on their property.

Imaging USA 2010 Information

Imaging USA, 229 Peachtree St. NE, #2200, Atlanta, GA 30303
    info@imagingusa.org | (888) 260-0016 | www.ImagingUSA.org

GAYLORD OPRYLAND
    ON-SITE PHOTOGRAPHY AND VIDEOGRAPHY POLICY

Professional / Personal / Amateur Photography and Videography

Gaylord Opryland Hotel encourages guests and visitors to take personal video or still photographs while
    enjoying their visit. All images and videos taken by guests and visitors are allowed free of charge so long as the
    images and videos are used for a personal, non-commercial purpose. All photographs and video should be
    taken from public viewing areas and must be taken with a hand-held camera (non-professional equipment).
    IMPORTANT: All camera accessories that could potentially impede foot traffic are expressly forbidden, including
    camera tripods, monopods, lighting setups, large reflectors and staging shots.
    Gaylord Opryland has the right, at its sole discretion, to withhold or withdraw consent to photograph and video
    (or to reproduce photographs or video) of the hotel and related property.
    Photographs may not be published, sold, reproduced, transmitted, distributed or otherwise commercially
    exploited in any manner whatsoever. All trademarks, service marks, logos, images, and facilities of Gaylord
    Opryland are the sole property of Gaylord Entertainment and may not be used, reproduced, displayed or
    distributed without written consent.

Media Photography and Videography

Professional photographers/videographers who are contracted specifically for the purposes of documenting a
    special event, meeting or convention MUST wear the event credential (or other form of official identification)
    throughout their stay that clearly shows their affiliation with a specific group, event or convention that is
    occurring at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel during their time onsite. Imaging USA will provide the appropriate
    parties with official identification.

I am thinking that maybe Gaylord will realize with thousands of photographers at the convention that many photographer's "non-professional equipment" would be considered "professional" by normal standards.

Camera phone for me.
    --Elephants can swim...
    ...and very gracefully.
    Knowing that,
    I do believe
    Anything is possible for me.

Kirk Darling, CPP

I would... just because the place is so gorgeous and plenty of architectual photo ops. I think if you don't make a big scene or a nusinace of yourself they wouldn't say anything. Of course there are way too many photographers who feel the rules about staying on the walkways and out of the gardens does not apply to them.

Just never know where that next loan print will come from.

The last convention at Opryland was in about 1995. That was when they used to do the early birds and photo safaris which we used the interior grounds and locations for.
    Joe Campanellie
    CPP, M.Photog., Cr., Fellow-ASP

www.campanellies.com

I don't know if anyone else finds this annoying, but I find it VERY distracting to see cameras popping up and down like pairie dogs during a speaker's program. Especially with their bright screens in a darkened room. That's why we prohibit them in our program. It's almost as annoying as a salesman talking loudly on his cellphone at an airport. OK, well not that annoying.

I definitely agree with Fuzzy RE: photographers disrupting the flow of a speakers program, and you would think that as Photographers we would not want to be like that annoying GWC (Guy/Gal with a camera) that anyone who photographs Weddings or Sports knows all too well.

The Gaylord itself looks like it was made for photography, but I can understand Gaylord not wanting to have to deal with hundreds of tripods blocking traffic.
    I like Joe's advice about being unobtrusive and respectful of the habitat there.

Here is a you tube clip of what the Gaylord is like inside. The guy who did the video was more interested in the elevator itself though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVXRniYZCKw

Looking at the schedule there will be little time to do anything more than take a few quick snap shots. Leaving photo gear alone in a hotel room is always a risk and lugging it around from class to class is an added burden.

Can't agree with Fuzzy more about people who feel they have to photograph every image that is put up during a speakers presentation. I'm pretty sure that isn't allowed at the PPA convention. But...like I said before I'm sure there will be plenty who just feel those rules don't apply to them.

Not to mention the whole copyright issue of photographing someone else's work. You would think that as photographers they would understand that.
    Joe Campanellie
    CPP, M.Photog., Cr., Fellow-ASP

www.campanellies.com