How long did it take you to get your Master's? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: How long did it take you to get your Master's?

Thanks Keith, I am just surprised that volunteering at your state level or regional level does not count unless its President, Print Chair or Juror. I did just check with PPA about this.

I guess newer candidates like myself rely on educational merits only? (I cant see myself speaking or writing at my level.)
    Cathy Broderick, CPP, Choco-holic

Quote Originally Posted by cat_broderick View Post
    Thanks Keith, I am just surprised that volunteering at your state level or regional level does not count unless its President, Print Chair or Juror. I did just check with PPA about this.

I guess newer candidates like myself rely on educational merits only? (I cant see myself speaking or writing at my level.)
    You can always volunteer at the national level. PPA has a number of volunteer jobs that can help you get involved at the national level and earn service merits. You can volunteer to work as a convention support person at the national convention (those are the people that you see there with the yellow shirts that help the speakers get setup, etc...). You can also volunteer to help put up and take down the print exhibit (a big effort) or sign up to be a volunteer print handler at the international judging.

At the state level, the only positions that receive PPA merits are the state association president and the convention chairman. The Print Committee chairman does not receive any merits (I did that job at our state level for about 5 years and received no merits for the position. I also confirmed the fact that it is not a service merit position with PPA earlier this year - a long unrelated story). The Jury Chairman (the judge who runs the jury at the actual judging), the jurors, and the speakers receive merits. Other volunteer efforts at the state or regional level can earn points or whatever your state association calls them towards your state service degree or state fellowship.
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 12-17-2009 at 05:59 PM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

I stand corrected on the print chairman, sorry. I went and checked my bi-laws and procedures - there are 11 pages of procedures for merits. There are more ways to earn merits - editor of an affiliate newsletter, web master for an affiliate association, unpaid artical in Professional Photographer mag., unpaid illistrations in Professional Photographer mag., cover of Professional Photographer Mag., Moderator of this forum, presenting a PPA webinar, judging or being a jury foreman (does not have to be an PEC afiliated judging it could be at your local or state conference) etc.. If there are specific questions I can look them up for you. There are lots of ways to earn merits though.
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Quote Originally Posted by cat_broderick View Post
    Get involved in your state association, volunteer for committees (most states have a degree or fellowship program where these count toward their degrees) and then go on to your state board of directors etc. Become their Newsletter editor or web master if you have skills in those areas. Becoming involved is way more valuable than you can imangine and associations are needing individuals all the time.
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_A_Howe View Post
    Now back to the thread . . . The one thing that hasn't really been discussed that plays into how long it might take to get a masters degree is did you have a mentor helping you
    I definitely agree. How do you suggest someone go about finding one?

I had some great connections when I lived in Kentucky, but since moving out of state, it's harder to maintain those relationships.

I've wanted to attend my new state conferences, but so far, scheduling conflicts have kept me from it.
    Website
    Blog
    Mentoring & Senior Marketing
    Favorite Lab
    Facebook

2008 1st Place KYPPA
    2009 Judge's Choice
    2009 People's Choice
    2009 Court of Honor
    2009 Court of Honor
    2010 Kodak Gallery Award

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_Gregory View Post
    Greg,

http://www.ppa.com/competitions/international.php has all the info and then some that you need to know about the PPA international print comp but it's wise to start locally to get an idea of what to do with your prints.

I typically enter my local affiliate's (KKPA) January print comp with images that I think might do well and listen to critiques given to see if they can be improved or if they're just hopeless.

I then enter in the regional affilated judging (HOA for me, not sure what it is for Arkansas) competitions where, if they are judged worthy there, automatically get a merit when submitted to the Int comp and are considered for loan status which means-among other things-two merits.

Again, if I've not been able to listen to critique or there was none during judging on the images that don't merit there, I ask someone whom I know has experience in the process to give me direction and many times, post here as there are more than a few seasoned masters willing to help.

I was told by someone (Dave Svoboda who is a God at print comp) that I was spoiled the first year I entered by getting two merits. I would no longer be happy with anything less. I scoffed at him but I think it's true for many. Luckily for me, the second year was better and the third better than the first, not as good as the second.

I LEARN continually in comp and it spills over to my studio work by making me LOOK at what I'm doing and to know what to look for before pressing that shutter.
    Linda,
    Thanks for the information. I have a good friend here that is a Master that keeps encouraging me to get started, so 2010 is the year.
    Thanks,
    Greg
    Greg Haag, CPP

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Dachowski View Post
    I wonder if anyone thinks it would be beneficial to see all the prints it took to get to Masters?
    Jeff
    Keith,
    I don't know if someone has already responded to this, buy my answer is a definite yes. I would love to see them.
    Thanks,
    Greg
    Greg Haag, CPP

I have all but my first two up on the web... www.lindagregory.com/2007.jpg is a composite of the four that merited that year www.lindagregory.com/2008 is a webpage of the ones I entered that year. The black and white did not merit. I'll have to see about getting my first two posted somewhere.
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_Gregory View Post
    I have all but my first two up on the web... www.lindagregory.com/2007.jpg is a composite of the four that merited that year www.lindagregory.com/2008 is a webpage of the ones I entered that year. The black and white did not merit. I'll have to see about getting my first two posted somewhere.
    Linda,
    Thanks for going to the trouble to make this available.
    Greg
    Greg Haag, CPP

I think when anyone begins this "journey" you don't think of yourself as a speaker or as an educator. But, as you gain experience you will become more confident about such things as Super Mondays and speaking at some of your local organizations.

That too is a part of the process. It's kind of the pay it forward program of PPA. To give back to the association that provides so much in the form of education and mentoring.
    Joe Campanellie
    CPP, M.Photog., Cr., Fellow-ASP

www.campanellies.com