How long did it take you to get your Master's? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: How long did it take you to get your Master's?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_A_Howe View Post
    Well probably but seeing as how my first few were cave paintings it might be difficult to post them here.

Just thought I'd get that comment out of the way before someone else made it. Actually mine were all from film and I don't even have all the prints anymore - so it would be impossible for me.

Keith
    Glad Keith made this comment first. Now he can be the "official" old fart. All of mine were film too as well as a couple that were from some original artworks. So...if you wanted to make any changes you would have to do the whole print all over again from start to finish.

Got my Master's in 1996 after five PPA competitions. But...before I started I studied a lot at the local state level. I never just jumped in without having some clue of what I was doing.

I know you guys don't want to hear this but you just don't know how easy you have it now with digital. You wouldn't believe what was involved in the days of film. What used to take hours and hours to accomplish with film based competition prints can now be accomplished in a matter of a few mouse clicks.

Would spend hours in the darkroom getting just the right print. Did everything except stand on your head to dodge and burn so it was just right.

Then off to the arts and craft store for colored paper for the colored borders. Usually had to buy a dozen or so different colors for each print because the colors would look so different...not only under the competition lights but would also change color when gloss sprayed.

My wife was awesome with a pair of mustache scissors. She could cut a 1/8th circular border for a colored liner by hand.

From printing to assembly could take up to 8 hours per print. And if you screwed up along the way you got to start all over again. In those days not a lot of labs were doing this kind of work. If they did, it was pretty expensive. So even if you had them make your print chances are you were still going to have to assemble it all by your self.

I realize most don't know or appreciate all this...but I'm sure Keith and some of the others do. So...I can't really see why someone can not compete these days...it's just too easy and too easy to control now in comparison to the film days.
    Joe Campanellie
    CPP, M.Photog., Cr., Fellow-ASP

www.campanellies.com

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_Gregory View Post
    if they are judged worthy there, automatically get a merit when submitted to the Int comp
    So if a print merits at a regional competition, does it HAVE to be submitted to the international comp to actually get a merit?

I ask because I merited 2 prints last year at MidEast states, but I knew nothing about submitting to nationals, so I didn't. Do I still have 2 print merits or did I miss the boat?
    Website
    Blog
    Mentoring & Senior Marketing
    Favorite Lab
    Facebook

2008 1st Place KYPPA
    2009 Judge's Choice
    2009 People's Choice
    2009 Court of Honor
    2009 Court of Honor
    2010 Kodak Gallery Award

You missed the boat, Jessica. If you get seals they are only good for one International Print Competition, which is the first one after you get the seals. You can still enter the prints, of course, but they go in as being unsealed (i.e. not guaranteed to get a merit).
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

I remember one of my earliest merit prints - it was a commercial entry of a can of beer being poured into a metal mug with a frothy head overflowing the mug with mountains in the background (shot on 4x5 - it took many pours to get just the perfect head and shooting it on 4x5 meant you only had one shot per pour then you had to clean up and set it all up over again). I wanted to do a little "out of the box" kind of mounting with the image where the beer can was "cut out" and extended past the frame of the mountain image with a blue stroke around the inside image with the stroke going behind the can. I went through five 16x20's getting the cutout just perfect, then ruined the mounted finished print when I added the blue "stroke" to it - the stroke was a thin line of pin-striping tape that had to be applied to the surface and the corners bevel cut to match - I cut the print when I cut the corners of the tape and had to start all over again. Then when everything was in place - the stroke tape contracted when the print was flow coat lacquered leaving gaps in the corners - again back to step one. All total, I went through about 8 or 9 16x20 prints to get that one print perfect and ready to go to the judging.

Today, you can do the whole thing and have it ready to print all at once instead of having to cut and mount prints - and strokes are a snap compared to adding them using pin-striping tape and lacquering over it.
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 12-16-2009 at 06:55 PM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica_Edwards View Post
    So if a print merits at a regional competition, does it HAVE to be submitted to the international comp to actually get a merit?

I ask because I merited 2 prints last year at MidEast states, but I knew nothing about submitting to nationals, so I didn't. Do I still have 2 print merits or did I miss the boat?
    The only place that you can receive an Exhibition merit is at the PPA International Judging. At the regional, they "seal" the print meaning that the print will be automatically accepted and will receive a merit if it is sent to the very next International Judging following the regional. If the print doesn't get sent to the national judging, no merit is awarded. The regional seals "expire" after the very next International Judging following the regional. If you did not send the print to the very next Internationall Judging, the seals are no longer valid. You can send them to the 2010 Judging, but they will not be automatically accepted - they will again be judged for merit - just like as if there was no seal on it.

(I'm curious too...)

So Keith and Rick how long did it take you guys?

Jessica,

As Linda mentioned Jeff and I got ours faster than most and I guess that's due to a combination of motivation, skill, support and luck (I coined the phrase "Luck is the 13th Element"). I personally had a $100 bet going that I can do it under 5 years. What really pushed me was to beat or match two of my mentors who got theirs within 3 years.

Also, I agree that achieving m.photog is faster now since the service side of the merit count (some say is almost effortless) is easier to achieve.
    Last edited by Marc_Benjamin; 12-16-2009 at 06:09 PM.
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

It took me a lot longer than it should have. I got involved in print competition many years ago and got a few print merits - then our business got very busy and I found myself putting off preparing for print competition because the national judging always came right in the middle of our busiest time of the year. That was back in the film days, and preparing competition prints took a lot of time and effort. I would end up pulling a few sample prints off the studio walls and sending them in just to have a print case in the competition - of course, these weren't printed for competition and were usually printed a bit too light so they wouldn't score well. There were even some years when I would be so busy right before the judging that I didn't even pull prints off the wall - I would be there working at the national judging but didn't even have a case entered. The educational value of attending the judging was the most valuable thing that I do every year, so I won't miss it even if I had no prints in the mix. Just the exposure to all of those images and the experience of hearing all the comments made by the judges about those images was improving my images every year. Well - some of my juror friends started good naturedly harassing me at the judging wanting to know when I was going to seriously pursue my degree - and I thank them for doing that for me - so I decided to intentionally set time aside to work on my competition images. In three years, I got the remaining print merits that I needed for my Masters.
    Now they're really putting the pressure on me - Imaging Excellence and the Fellowship are now ahead of me - so now I need to get enough prints in the Masters exhibition so that one day I might be able to shoot for the Fellowship... unlikely, but if you set a really high goal, even if you fall a little short, you're still way ahead.
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 12-16-2009 at 06:51 PM.

Lot more help out there too with the internet. Remember...we're from the cave man days. No internet and no places like this to get so much help and advice advice.

If you're really serious about competition there's just so many avenues of information these days.
    Joe Campanellie

www.campanellies.com

Joe's right - There are a lot of resources available now that didn't exist in the past.
    In the past, there were no forums available where you could post your images and get knowledgeable people to critique them for you before the competition. Unless you had a willing mentor in your area with whom you could consult before a competition, the only critiques you could get were those that came back with your prints after the competition was over.
    Also - there were no mentor booths at the print exhibit with jurors who would sit down with you and help you to see the merit images in you work.
    Take advantage of the resources. You've got it a lot better now than back in the "old days"

Rick...you know I thought that too about Fellowship. Who was I to even consider such a thing like that. When you even consider starting this you realize just what a gut check it will be. Not only that but when you look at the list of Fellows...that alone is pretty intimidating.

But...thank goodness for friends... and especially my wife. As photographers we are always the ones to question our own abilities and talents. My wife wouldn't let me off by simply telling her that I didn't think I could do it. She believed in me from that start.

I got some very good advice from a friend when first considering Fellowship. That the best thing was to approach this with the frame of mind that you will be a better person for having tried and you will certainly learn so much about yourself. Not only as a photographer...but as a person.
    Joe Campanellie

www.campanellies.com