How are Degrees awarded - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: How are Degrees awarded

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Reichman View Post
    I get that, but the requirements for degrees are pretty well-defined - what would cause objections?

- trr
    I've heard in the past that objections would come up due to some ethics such and so...

Oh and when a recipient starts claiming (attaching the initials/advertising that they are) that they've earned the degree already during that year that you earned the merits but not marched yet.

Also, if new evidence of say cheating were to come into light. Example, turns out you did same subject in the same year but no one caught it. Or the instructor of the class you were in would object since you entered a print created during a class.

Complainers then calls their councilor, now that councilor has to bring it up. It would be really mean though if this happens during imaging week and the recipient and their families have already there room/flight/vacation already vested.

Those are the situations I could think of. I've attended 4 of the last council meetings and I've never seen a complaint. I've seen a last minute addition though last year. Something about a miscount on the merits and it turns out whoever it was had enough so they added her name to the list and let her March.
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

Doesn't it have to be addressed within 10 days of the councilor review packet being sent out though? I just received my email that the packets were being mailed out. (if someone knows the answer to this question, then great... in the meantime, I'll send off an email to get some clarification).
    Betsy Finn, Cr.Photog., CPP
    bphotoart :: learnwithbetsy :: email

All degree candidates must be approved by council.

Once the names have been sent out there is a time limit as to when objection have to be made to a recipient. Usually it's on the basis of an ethics issues. There might be other situations.
    Joe Campanellie
    CPP, M.Photog., Cr., Fellow-ASP

www.campanellies.com

The breakdown for merits required isn't on anything under the merits and degree tab anymore. Or if it is I sure can't find it anymore, I used to know just how and where to find it.
    For the Masters the 12 service merits can be speaking or attending merits? I think so, am I right?
    Oh, and someone ask about print merits. Score 80 or above at a PPA competition to get a merit.
    Mike Bentley
    PPA Certified

Pretty much correct Mike. The 12 merits can be including, or any other merits (Most will reserve their degree merits though - for example, not use exhibition merits towards the Craftsman, etc.).

Oh, BTW, and this goes for all certifieds. There is no "PPA Certified" anymore. We are trying to get the word out to all CPPs that it is now "CPP". You are all certified under the CPPC (Certified Professional Photography Commission).
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Gan View Post
    h, BTW, and this goes for all certifieds. There is no "PPA Certified" anymore. We are trying to get the word out to all CPPs that it is now "CPP". You are all certified under the CPPC (Certified Professional Photography Commission).
    So disappointed about this. Does this now mean we no longer pay $50 to PPA to maintain our CPP designation and it goes to someone else?
    Last edited by Kimberly_Hill; 01-24-2010 at 01:08 AM.
    Kimberly Hill, CPP

Bliss®
    website | blog

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly_Hill View Post
    So disappointed about this. Does this now mean we no longer pay $50 to PPA to maintain our CPP designation and it goes to someone else?
    Kimberly,

The Professional Photographic Certification Commission is organized along with the same national standards system that governs other professional certifications. This removes any hint of "the old boys club" and makes it a more professional certification program.

This has changed both the requirements to some extent and even the way test questions are written and scored. Another change is that a photographer can be a "PPCC Certified Professional Photographer" without being a member of PPA (although PPA members do get a substantial break in the certification fee). It's not a club thing anymore.

This process actually began I think ten years ago, and the organizational transition is just about complete, although right now, PPA people are still doing a lot of the legwork.
    --Elephants can swim...
    ...and very gracefully.
    Knowing that,
    I do believe
    Anything is possible for me.

Kirk Darling, CPP

To echo what Kirk posted, It seems to me that having The Professional Photographic Certification Commission in charge of CPP certification gives a CPP even more credibility in the big scheme of things. There are many professional photography organizations (ASMP,NPPA,SEP,etc) and their members all have to go through The Professional Photographic Certification Commission to be a CPP. It just seems like it covers a broader world of Photographers by removing it from the jurisdiction of the PPA. I think now we may see more NON portrait and wedding photographers seek this distinction, making it a more industry wide standard. There are Sports and commercial versions of the test available along with the Portrait version, I don't know if that is a recent addition but it seems to make sense to have the CPP cover those fields as well.
    Last edited by Ed_Sharp; 01-24-2010 at 01:41 PM.

Your right Ed. This is an objective of the commission. EPIC, the Evidence photographers, already have a certification system in place under the commission. PPA of course does, and we are putting together a judging pool for the SEP photographers (It's been a challenge both ways for our current judges to competently judge sports and events).

That is why we are in the process of expanding our judging pool.
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

Thank you for the clarification, gentleman.
    Kimberly Hill, CPP

Bliss®
    website | blog