How are Degrees awarded
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default How are Degrees awarded

I've had a hard time finding information about the degrees on the website. How are the degrees awarded? Do you apply after meeting some requirements or is it automatic after you complete the requirements?

I'm interested in the Master of Photography degree but I don't know what it entails entirely. Where can I find more detailed information about the degrees, their requirements, how merits are awarded and for what?

Default Re: How are Degrees awarded

Marc, when you have received all the proper merits for your degree, PPA will notify you that you qualify and will send you the proper papers to fill out to receive your degree. You need, for the Masters, 13 Exhibition merits and 12 additional merits, such as attending Imaging USA, attending Super Mondays, speaking, attending affiliate schools, and volunteering for PPA events, just to name a very few. Once you reach the 25 merits, Cristel's office will contact you.

Then, once you accept/confirm your degree, your name will show up for voting at the council meeting during IUSA and you're in!

For more information, go to the top of this web page, click on Benefits and select Merits and Degrees.
    Last edited by Michael_Gan; 12-10-2009 at 04:56 PM.
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Gan View Post

For more information, go to the top of this web page, click on Benefits and select Merits and Degrees.
    I've looked at that and it really isn't helpful. There is more information on the credential programs page.

Where or at what level of print competition are the merits awarded that are needed for the degree?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcHathaway View Post
    Where or at what level of print competition are the merits awarded that are needed for the degree?
    The print (or exhibition) merits you earn are awarded at the national level of competition only - not at state or local competitions. National competition happens once a year.

Marc,

Once you have met the requirments and are eligible for the degree, you will recieve a letter from PPA. It's been awhile since I got my last degree so I don't remember exactly but I do believe there is a sort of application - but it's more just a registration that you are attending the ceremony or not - how your name should be written on the certificate, who your sponsor is etc. The PPA council does vote on the list of degree recipients each year. The actual degree is presented at an awards ceremony at IUSA. Your sponsor accompanies you on stage and actually hangs the ribbon around your neck. The sponsor is traditionally someone you feel has been instrumental in your reaching your degree. It does NOT have to be a PPA member but it is required to be an adult - no children.

To be eligible, you must have 13 print merits and 12 other merits. It used to be a challenge to earn those 12 other merits but now they practically give them away for attending certain seminars etc. I think you also have to have been a member for 2 or 3 years. You can earn those extra 12 merits by service, speaking, education or additional print merits. Print merits are received from having prints accepted for the exhibition at IUSA. Judging for that takes place in June or July every year. Each accepted print earns one merit. A print selected for Loan collection gets 2 merits.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions just ask.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

What is the significance of purpose of the voting stage? Just curious as to why that apparent formality is included.

Also, what is the history or significance of the sponsor thing?

- trr

Todd, the voting, as I understand it, is where any objections can be raised (and the degree applicant has the chance for rebuttal if there is an objection).

Marc, if you are going to Imaging, you should sign up for an Image Critique -- this would be a great way to get you started in the process of figuring out what images to enter. Also, you should check out the Exhibition while you are there... it has on display most of the merit images (except any that couldn't be safely hung).
    Betsy Finn, Cr.Photog., CPP
    bphotoart :: learnwithbetsy :: email

Quote Originally Posted by Betsy_Finn View Post
    Todd, the voting, as I understand it, is where any objections can be raised (and the degree applicant has the chance for rebuttal if there is an objection).
    I get that, but the requirements for degrees are pretty well-defined - what would cause objections?

- trr

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Reichman View Post
    I get that, but the requirements for degrees are pretty well-defined - what would cause objections?

- trr
    Todd,
    one big no- no is saying you have achieved the degree prior to receiving it. Another might be an ethics situation.
    Jeff
    Jeff Dachowski M.Photog Cr.CPP A.C.ph
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

www.DachowskiPhotography.com

Avatar by 2008 Diamond photographer of the year-Don Chick

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Reichman View Post

- trr
    I've heard in the past that objections would come up due to some ethics such and so...

Oh and when a recipient starts claiming (attaching the initials/advertising that they are) that they've earned the degree already during that year that you earned the merits but not marched yet.

Also, if new evidence of say cheating were to come into light. Example, turns out you did same subject in the same year but no one caught it. Or the instructor of the class you were in would object since you entered a print created during a class.

Complainers then calls their councilor, now that councilor has to bring it up. It would be really mean though if this happens during imaging week and the recipient and their families have already there room/flight/vacation already vested.

Those are the situations I could think of. I've attended 4 of the last council meetings and I've never seen a complaint. I've seen a last minute addition though last year. Something about a miscount on the merits and it turns out whoever it was had enough so they added her name to the list and let her March.
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com