Merits for attendance - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Merits for attendance

Just what I need...more merits !

It's a pretty easy system to understand...each degree has it's own colored ribbon. When you see people with multi colored ribbons then it signifies that they have multiple PPA degrees.

Master Photographer - gold ribbon
    Craftsman - blue ribbon
    Master Artist - white ribbon
    Master of EI - red

Then each state has it's own degree system and it's own colored ribbons on top of all that. You just have to assume that when you see someone with a lot of bling that they have worked pretty hard to get where they are. Orin my case...bought some stuff on ebay... !
    Last edited by Joe_Campanellie; 01-19-2010 at 03:01 PM.
    Joe Campanellie
    CPP, M.Photog., Cr., Fellow-ASP

www.campanellies.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Campanellie View Post
    Just what I need...more merits !

It's a pretty easy system to understand...each degree has it's own colored ribbon. When you see people with multi colored ribbons then it signifies that they have multiple PPA degrees.

Master Photographer - gold ribbon
    Craftsman - blue ribbon
    Master Artist - white ribbon
    Master of EI - red

Then each state has it's own degree system and it's own colored ribbons on top of all that. You just have to assume that when you see someone with a lot of bling that they have worked pretty hard to get where they are. Orin my case...bought some stuff on ebay... !
    Even what you've said here is not on the website anywhere. Then you've got the excellence bars, and the Star Trek arrowheads, et cetera.

How is someone to know which ones to buy off eBay if there's no list? Nobody wants to spend good money on an award that isn't the best.
    --Elephants can swim...
    ...and very gracefully.
    Knowing that,
    I do believe
    Anything is possible for me.

Kirk Darling, CPP

Found my merits... thanks! Yes, they have not updated our merit report yet for attending the 2010 I-USA.

Missy, if you attended Imaging USA and it's your first ever merit, you may get a certificate in the mail acknowledging your having earned a merit.

You bet, Kirk. But it's also a learning experience to walk up to someone with all those awards to ask what it all means. This encourages the human side of earning merits/degrees - the why, not just the what or how.

I'd like to know how many and what type of merits are required for each degree. Didn't see that stated anywhere...
    -Phillip Colwart, CPP
    www.phillipcolwart.com

Thanks Phillip, I am not worried about it. Records, checks and balances takes time. I think I get one point. I might get something for a precon. Not sure as it was not but 3.5 hours.

I heard reports of 7000 all the way up to 10.5k in attendance. 1+ points each and someone has to key or scan it all in.... Takes time.
    Missy
    website~Melissa E. Wertz Photography
    blog~Images by "Missy"

And one day I will combined them on a splash page making it really simple. :-)

Yes, attendance broke 10,000... it was great!
    -Phillip Colwart, CPP
    www.phillipcolwart.com

Imaging Excellence is for 13 loan prints. I think that has to be above your master's degree...I think. Not sure on that point. Once you get your first 13 you get a different colored medallion (black) with a diamond in the center.

Each 13 after that you get a bar.

The arrowheads are for photographer of the year. Each has a different level and different designation. From meriting all four prints up to the diamond which is the highest for all four prints going loan.

Master's Degree 13 print merits and 12 service or speaking or judging merits for a total of 25

Craftsman Degree 13 speaking merits with another 12 from other sources such as above for a total of 25

EI Degree 13 EI print merits with the other 12 from a variety of service, speaking, and judging for a total of 25.

Each 25 after that you get a gold bar.

That's the short version...
    Joe Campanellie
    CPP, M.Photog., Cr., Fellow-ASP

www.campanellies.com

Thanks, Joe... I had better get going on those speaking merits. I'd like to get my Craftsman degree in a few years.

My next question is, how can I keep my Certification w/o taking the exam again?
    -Phillip Colwart, CPP
    www.phillipcolwart.com

Phillip, keep attending Imaging USA! If you go each year during your 5 years, you will have enough Continuing Education Units (CEU) to recertify! You can also list your attendance with any conventions (State, local, and even WPPI!).

Also, and we're going to nag this to death, remember that Certification is no longer a part of PPA, but rather the CPPC (Certified Professional Photography Commission).
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Gan View Post
    remember that Certification is no longer a part of PPA, but rather the CPPC (Certified Professional Photography Commission).
    Michael, does that change anything specific for those wanting to become certified?
    Lorrie K
    Lorrie Kennedy Photography

"If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn’t, it ain’t. That’s logic.”

Tweedledee in Through the Looking Glass

No, the standards for certification is the same. Actually, Certified has been separate from PPA for quite some time. What's confusing is that there has been a sort of "cross breeding" of PPA members with certification. We are now trying to make it clear that Certifieds are not "PPA Certified" because this has not been true for quite a few years now.
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com