Tales from my first print comp
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tales from my first print comp

My local affiliate DPPA held it's print competition Tuesday night. I just joined the affiliate at last month's meeting and decided to go ahead and submit some entries to the competition. I wanted to share my first experience w/everyone (I will call this my 'first' competition even though I did enter WPPI 8x10 comp last year. I didn't prepare the images and sent them very last minute. So I'll just say that was practice, lol)

None of the other photographers I normally attend the meetings with were going so I had my Mom come with me as she helps me in the office. There was just no way I could go alone, lol. I arrived early b/c I was insecure about what to do. I figured if we got there before anyone else there would be less people to laugh at my inexperience with the process, lol. I recognized the absolutely adorable woman helping with print handling as Betsy even though I've never met her. She looked just like her last avatar

I wasn't sure I was going to stay for the judging as I was really nervous to hear the critiques. I was afraid the judges would be harsh. We decided we would at least stay for a little while. We ended up watching the Portrait, Wedding and the beginning of the Illustrative category. We would've liked to stay longer but we had over an hour drive home.

So here are my scores and what the judges said-

http://www.twinshutterbugstudios.com...dofthelin2.jpg

"End of the Line" originally scored 79 but was challenged by one judge who felt it deserved an 80. The other judges felt there wasn't anything in the image in focus and that the brightness on the belly drew your eyes up and out of the print. Her belly button was not in focus and in fact almost invisible and that was mentioned. The judge who challenged felt that the maker probably intentionally lit the belly brighter and intentionally created the image soft (which I did) and liked it that way. But, she concurred and it got dropped to a 78. Eh.

I didn't disagree w/any of the judges opinions and respected what they said.

http://www.twinshutterbugstudios.com...s/dogtired.jpg

"Dog Tired" scored an 80, which I guess also got challenged. One judge felt there wasn't anything to draw your attention, but all the other judges felt that the dogs eyes and face were very crisp and that was were the focus/attention was. So it stayed an 80. I don't remember any of this, or it even being challenged. I think I was too afraid they would drop the score that I just blocked the critique out, haha! My Mom had told me what was said afterwards.

The last two images both scored 77, but I hadn't expected more. They both had flaws but interesting characters/subjects. I had hoped that would over shadow the flaws, but in the end it didn't. I'm okay with that.

What I found was the judges were very fair and honest. Not one said anything really mean or harsh about any of the images. I was extremely impressed w/all the entries and didn't see anything that was sub par.

The truth is we all fear getting our egos squashed by not scoring 80 or above, but all the images that scored 77-79 were pretty great. It made me feel even more honored to have participated and score where I did. I don't know I would've understood the scoring w/o watching, so I'm glad we stayed.

I'm looking forward to doing this again. At least now I feel like I have a handle on what images of mine will work and what won't. I think next time I'll go w/my gut as I submitted a few that I knew was not my best work and those scored the worst. My husband is always critiquing my images for being too soft(he really should be a judge someday, haha) and that was my biggest flaw. So I'm really going to start focusing on fixing that.

We can debate all day whether print competition is worth it, whether we learn anything, whether it will make us money, etc. I think it is important to be critiqued every once in awhile. I'm inspired to create better artistic images for my clients and myself now, and I think that alone makes it worth it. I'm hoping by getting the courage to post my scores and the critiques it might inspire others to compete. It wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be, even the bad stuff I don't expect to change everyone's opinion, and I'm okay with that.

Default Re: Tales from my first print comp

Quote Originally Posted by Tss1203 View Post

The truth is we all fear getting our egos squashed by not scoring 80 or above, but all the images that scored 77-79 were pretty great.
    One of the keys that I learned early on was to separate myself from my work. If my print scored low, there were things I needed to improve on, and it had nothing to do with me personally. We put a lot into our work, and in comp it really helps to separate ourselves from it. The only failure is to compete and not learn anything.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stan_Lawrence View Post
    One of the keys that I learned early on was to separate myself from my work. If my print scored low, there were things I needed to improve on, and it had nothing to do with me personally. We put a lot into our work, and in comp it really helps to separate ourselves from it. The only failure is to compete and not learn anything.....
    I agree Stan.

Let me rephrase that and say many also fear getting too low b/c of the validation of being 'not good enough'....this is definitely me. But I've learned it only validates it if you don't work on improving and correcting your mistakes.

Congratulations for putting yourself out there in print comp. I'm glad it was a good learning experience for you.
    Cheri MacCallum
    CPP, M. Photog., M. Artist, MEI, Cr., GFD, Ph. Artist
    Painter Portraits for Pros and Fine Art Printing Services
    http://www.artbycheri.net/proserv.html
    www.artbycherifineart.net
    http://artbycheri.typepad.com/art_by_cheri/

Glad to see you posted this here! I told you privately, but I want to add my public congratulations. I have said many times before that I entered four years before I ever got an 80. You did great for your first time out and should be proud of yourself.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

An 80 right out the gate! Congratulations!! Ah, but we are jealous!

Nice images. It's a good thing you didn't leave before yours were judged, hearing the critiques is one of the main reasons for entering print comp.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It has been years since I have submitted anything and I have never submitted to a ppa affiliate. I want to do that after I attend imaging and a local affiliate meeting.
    Missy
    website~Melissa E. Wertz Photography
    blog~Images by "Missy"

And one day I will combined them on a splash page making it really simple. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Missy50 View Post
    It has been years since I have submitted anything and I have never submitted to a ppa affiliate. I want to do that after I attend imaging and a local affiliate meeting.
    Remember the Mentor program at imaging. You can contact Jim Dingwell jdingwell@ppa.com for more info and to sign up for some one on one time with a judge. Bring 10 or so images or a laptop (booted up) with your images. They will make suggestions as to which are the strongest, what to work on as well as presentation questions. If you have questions - bring them and your memtor will gladly help.
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_A_Howe View Post
    Remember the Mentor program at imaging. You can contact Jim Dingwell jdingwell@ppa.com for more info and to sign up for some one on one time with a judge. Bring 10 or so images or a laptop (booted up) with your images. They will make suggestions as to which are the strongest, what to work on as well as presentation questions. If you have questions - bring them and your memtor will gladly help.
    Keith

I had no idea about this Keith! I'm glad you posted it for Missy.