How do we get more people involved?
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Default How do we get more people involved?

I have built my business on print competition in more ways than I can count. I use press releases, FB updates about scores. I have ribbons all over my studio and a bit of crystal. I have a bowling shirt devoted to competition. I also have a clicker that turns on a PPA lighting rig 5 feet in front of my desk at this very moment. Why? Competition has made me a lot of money and it has given me a strong name in my community. I have branded around it and it has given back. Perhaps I come off a bit negative here. Forgive that I just take all of this very seriously and it works if we make it work for us. I'm truly a positive kind of guy! I get a little twisted when negative things come around competition because I believe so strongly in it! I am a fan of the Gospel as well. I like to spread that so, let's spread the Gospel of Print Competition.

What say yea? I believe there are people out there that are in need of some print competition. Many people don't get it, don't know it, and don't see the value. I can honestly say I'm a poster child of how all of this works.

SO!!!! Let's spread the word! Education is key to making all of this work. Here's my challenge to everyone here.

1. How to we spread the word about competition?
    2. If you are not entering, what can I do to convince you that it works?
    3. I will volunteer John Metcalfe's hair to be shaved if we can see to it that numbers go up 25% next June at the International Print Competition.

Post all of your thoughts here.

Default Re: How do we get more people involved?

I am full of many, many bad ideas. Let's start with an idea that may or may not be:

More competition classes and programs at all levels. Let's have people talk about what works, what doesn't, and most importantly what it's done for their business and their craft.

Another idea. Same vein. How about a panel of 5 of the top photographers in your region discussing the same and showing their best and worst scoring images?

How about more articles about competition that can be passed around and posted in Affiliate magazines and journals?

How about promoting mentoring small groups at the local level?

Quote Originally Posted by mrbarton View Post
    2. If you are not entering, what can I do to convince you that it works?
    Gauntlet thrown...prove it will make me money.

Convince me as to why competition is a good way or even the best way to improve ability.

- trr

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Reichman View Post
    Gauntlet thrown...prove it will make me money.

Convince me as to why competition is a good way or even the best way to improve ability.

- trr
    It's a great way to improve your ability, as to making money, no. That has to do with sales and marketing. If you market your participation in print comp effectively, cool. It's no more valid than marketing your customer service, your hair color or anything else. If you can demonstrate a customer benefit, you can market it.

The customer benefit comes in where you challenge yourself to stretch and create new work that is beyond where you are presently with client work. I created an album last year that went loan titled "Gerber Daisy". They were just little girls with flowers shot with one light and reflector. They were unposed. I set the images to a poem and then added overlays. I then sold $3000 worth of books in 2 hours. That was all completely free and clear of all the other money I made off each session. A complete up sell. I'm now working on 3 more collections. People really want to make more girls with flowers but now they have to pay for the full studio session. The fact that their girls are in an international traveling collection makes all the difference in the world. That's money, marketing, and I became a better photographer.

We live in a time where differentiation is harder than it's been in years. Frankly, descent images aren't enough anymore. This is an example of how I have used 1 entry to change my business and stand out. It's one thing to have client recognition, but peer recognition is a whole new level of respect. If you look at many of the studios that are succeeding these days they usually involve a "wow" factor. Awards are one way of doing that but honestly challenging ourselves to up the ante on our craft is where it's at. We have to be great to stay alive this day and age.

I might add I won the Canon Par Excellence Award for EI at Seppa the next month and was given a 5D Mark II, a lens, and a chance for one heck of a press release. I could pay thousands and not get what I get in free press from these.

Todd, there is not absolute way to improve or market. This one just works for me and can work for others.