Air fares creeping up

Default Air fares creeping up

I knew that the price for holiday travel was going up this year, but I did not realize it would affect the travel time period of IUSA. I have been tracking the rates since Summer and my flight has gone up $20 ($10 at a time)in the last two weeks.

___Update 10-28-09
    Southwest is having some big fare sales now, which is being matched by some of the other airlines. If anyone is considering flying, this would be a good time to check the prices. I just booked with Southwest (No bagage fees) and also noticed that orbitz had the lower fares also.

http://www.southwest.com/

http://www.orbitz.com/
    Last edited by Ed_Sharp; 10-28-2009 at 11:55 PM. Reason: New lower Air fares hitting the market

Default Re: Air fares creeping up

Oil is up sharply over the past couple weeks. That won't help them keep the price down.
    Don
    M.Photog., Cr., CPP, D.C.Ph.

www.donchick.com

Recently on a consumer segment of the news, the travel experts were warning people to book any holiday travel now as they expect the fares to almost skyrocket as we get closer. The airlines they say are losing more money due to the economic situation so they are going to increase fares durning the heavy holiday travel period to try and make up for losses. They didn't say how far out the impact would be, in other words, how far into January but it's a good bet the fares will not be cheap.

Not to mention the dollar just keeps falling and falling.

Funny.... I keep getting air specials in my email.... flights to Hawaii are going down.... just booked the flights, about $150 less than last year.

We have been looking since August for flights to France in December and they don't go cheaper at all. $400 taxes or Euros taxes maybe don't help. We might give up, the weak dollars vs the strong Euro does not help. No extravaganza for this Christmas :=((

I'll drive to Nashville before I'll fly.It might take 18 hours but it sure beats the alternative of having a flight cancel and not being able to get another one because everything is full for the next week.

Michael there is more truth to that than most will think. The program I was watching with the travel expert said, the airlines are flying fewer planes so the flights they do fly are full. So, if for some reason that flight gets canceled then there is less chance of another flight to get on. Top that off with the winter travel when depending on your airport location, the chances increase of delayed or canceled flights due to the bad weather.

For all above reasons, I plan to drive and make a half way stop visiting my sister & family. By then, I may have a Prius, or another vehicle more economical than present. There was a recent article in USA Today about passengers not checking bags and TSA & airlines not enforcing the size a quantity limits of carrying on pieces. Then, the obnoxious rude passengers...
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

Default Good deals online now

Southwest is having some big fare sales now, which is being matched by some of the other airlines. If anyone is considering flying, this would be a good time to check the prices. I just booked with Southwest (No bagage fees) and also noticed that orbitz had the lower fares also.

http://www.southwest.com/

http://www.orbitz.com/