Setting up a Print competition (lighting)

Default Setting up a Print competition (lighting)

Hello.

I am trying to help set up a print competition for a local photography club. My hope is to use the same rules and categories as a real PPA competition, in hopes that if this goes well, some of the members will move on to PPA print competitions.

Anyway, my question is lighting. The rules I found say a light meter should read f/16 ISO 100 1 Second. I understand that. The thing that isn't mentioned is the type of lighting required/recommended. Does anyone recommend a name brand or model of particular lights. I would hate to get the wrong type and have too warm or too cool lighting.

I was on B&H Photo looking through their vast assortment of continuous lighting and only confused myself.

TonyT.

Default Re: Setting up a Print competition (lighting)

Hello Tony and thanks for asking. There are very exact specifications for the lighting set up and it is all described carefully in the "2009 Jury Chair Manual" which you may download here at ppa.com by going to:
    http://www.ppa.com/articles/267/2009...air-Manual.php
    The bulbs are BEC and the housings are Photogenic spot lights with barn doors. Please refer to the manual for the exact lights, distances and angles for the lights.

You may write back with any other questions you may come up with and you can contact Jim Dingwell, the PPA administrator for the Print Exhibition Committee.
    His phone number at PPA is: 866-591-9190
    Again, thanks for asking and good luck with your groups future in print judging!
    Sam Gardner M.Photog.Cr.CPP, Int. Juror