Studio Lighting for Beginner to Intermediate Photographers

Default Studio Lighting for Beginner to Intermediate Photographers

"Who is more foolish, the child afraid of the dark. . .
    or the man afraid of the light?" ~Maurice Freehill

If you have ever been intimidated by the sight of a soft box, or if umbrellas make you a little queasy, or a flash tube makes you choke—then this is the class for you.

Topics covered will include

Lighting a subject with one , two or three lights
    Determining exposure—don’t overcook the goose
    Lighting ratios—the bucket of paint theory
    Lighting patterns—what the heck is short light anyway?
    Quality of Light— creating a feeling with the choice of modifier
    Modifiers—parabolics, umbrellas and soft boxes and when to use each
    Corrective lighting for less then perfect faces

This is a hands on workshop. No matter what lights you use in your own studio, you will be able to go home and immediately improve your studio lighting.

Keith Howe is Master Photographer with over 280 PPA merits to his name. He was 2008 Heart of America Photographer of the Year, as well as two time Nebraska Photographer of the Year. He was also a 2008 PPA Platinum - oops Diamond - Thanks Rick! -Photographer of the year for having all four of his entries selected for the prestigious loan collection. He is a full time photographer operating his studio in North Platte NE with his wife Holly for 29 years. His work can be viewed on his website www.photographicimages1.com or his Facebook fan page for Photographic Images.

Cost: $89 if pre-registered by October 26th, $99 after 10/26 or at the door
    Host: My Studio - A Photography Co-op and Education Center
    Date: Monday, November 2, 2009
    Time: 9:15am - 5:15pm
    Street: 11138 Q st
    City/Town: Omaha, NE
    Phone: 402-681-5181
    Email : gunn2@cox.net
    Last edited by Keith_A_Howe; 10-05-2009 at 03:14 PM.
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Default Re: Studio Lighting for Beginner to Intermediate Photographers

Sounds great! When I saw the thread topic I was hoping this was going to be an on-line course through OurPPA. Dang! Oh well. I'll bet you fill this class up quickly.

Dude - four for four IN THE LOAN makes you a DIAMOND - not a "MERE" Platinum PTY!!! Humility, HA! ... DUDE, when you're good - you're just FLAT good - and Keith just ROCKS !!!

And please forgive me - but as an "obligatory" announcement - as PPLA President... If you wish to learn more from Holly Howe (oh, also - Keith may be there too!!!) They will be speaking at the PP of Louisiana State Convention in 2010 - from August 31 to September 3, 2010... Hey, everyone, PPLA 2010 is gonna be a BIG party - so plan to attend - no matter wherever you live - after all - New Orleans Plus Keith and Holly - has got to be a PARTY - and the New Orleans French Quarter is always open all night!!!

HOLLY HOWE - PLUS KEITH HOWE - IN NEW ORLEANS August 31 - Septemberr 2. 2010 - HOW CAN YOU LOSE - WHEN YOU'RE HOT, YOU'RE HOT !!!! You get to see Holly - and maybe even Keith too !!!! (sorry about that dude... but everybody knows that we love ya, Mr. Diamond dude....) Hey, I'm only a mere Bronze Level PTY vs. your 4 for 4 Diamond Level PTY... so ROCK ON DUDE - KEITH ROCKS !!!

Now, if we could just get Jeff to stop hating his case, maybe all of us could have a chance... (Sorry about that)

C ya Lata' Dude - and - we Love ya, Holly (I'll bring chocolate...),...
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 10-05-2009 at 08:43 AM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Oops, sorry about the typo Rick. I am doing this for a friend at her studio co-op & education center. She brings in a different photographer about once a month to do a day long workshop. I had a busy week and just wrote this up for her in a hurry before we left for an out of town wedding over the weekend. I just copied it to this forum from her Facebook page once we got back to town yesterday.

Holly & I are really looking forward the PPLA event next year. Isn't it a tradition to roast your president at the banquet? If not maybe we could start that tradition?????

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_A_Howe View Post
    Oops, sorry about the typo Rick. I am doing this for a friend at her studio co-op & education center. She brings in a different photographer about once a month to do a day long workshop. I had a busy week and just wrote this up for her in a hurry before we left for an out of town wedding over the weekend. I just copied it to this forum from her Facebook page once we got back to town yesterday.

Holly & I are really looking forward the PPLA event next year. Isn't it a tradition to roast your president at the banquet? If not maybe we could start that tradition?????

Keith
    TYPO ?

You've been a PTY so many times that you can't remember which one you're getting this year!
    I want to be Keith when I grow up... but then again, I'll never grow up !
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman