Webinar Merits Question (Another one) :)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Webinar Merits Question (Another one) :)

I know I brought this up once before, and got a reply, but now I have a slightly different question. It was posted that we would receive 1/2 credit for webinars under 3 hours, and 1 credit for webinars over 3 hours. Does this pertain to any of the new "free" webinars, whether they are from PPA, or the new ones that Adobe and Canon are offering? Or is it just for the ones that we have to pay for? (There doesn't seem to be any currently up on the website that aren't free). I figured that while I was recovering from my next back surgery, I could watch a few of the webinars and hopefully be working toward my Masters.

Thanks.
    Angela
    Angela Lawson CPP
    Michigan CPP Liason
    AGL Photography
    Where Life + Art = Memories Forever
    http://www.aglphotography.net

Default Re: Webinar Merits Question (Another one) :)

just paid ones I believe
    Betsy Finn, Cr.Photog., CPP
    bphotoart :: learnwithbetsy :: email

Correct me if I am wrong, but the one that is tomorrow night is only a little more than an hour?
    Missy
    website~Melissa E. Wertz Photography
    blog~Images by "Missy"

And one day I will combined them on a splash page making it really simple. :-)

Oh, I forgot to mention - you can pay for access to the archived webinars and have those apply towards merits.
    http://www.ppa.com/education-events/webinars.php
    SMS Webinars on Demand

Missy, are you referring to the certification webinar? It is scheduled for 7pm EST (and I think it's an hour long)
    http://www.ppa.com/education-events/...tification.php
    Betsy Finn, Cr.Photog., CPP
    bphotoart :: learnwithbetsy :: email

angela,
    what's this 1/2 credit carp!
    you should have been around when you really had to earn a degree. when i was getting the degrees you had to attend a week long class at winona or an affiliate school.
    there was no supper mondays to rack up the merrits, forget about webnars.
    i'm sure there's some old guys left around here who remember how it used to be.
    don't get me wrong, i'd work within the system too if i were you.
    unfortunitly it's another aspect of the dumbing down of america.
    joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Galioto View Post
    angela,
    what's this 1/2 credit carp!
    you should have been around when you really had to earn a degree. when i was getting the degrees you had to attend a week long class at winona or an affiliate school.
    i'm sure there's some old guys left around here who remember how it used to be.
    don't get me wrong, i'd work within the system too if i were you.
    unfortunitly it's another aspect of the dumbing down of america.
    joe
    I remember! I got one merit, one for attending a year long school!!! Yup One!
    Jeff
    Jeff Dachowski M.Photog Cr.CPP A.C.ph
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

www.DachowskiPhotography.com

Avatar by 2008 Diamond photographer of the year-Don Chick

Joe,

Not sure it's dumbing down, just easier access. It's still only one merit to attend a school's program. Not sure about one per week, it may depend on the school but the one in Kansas gives one per class at school for those that are half a week, not sure if you get two merits for one class that's all week long or not.

The super Mondays may be around and people may rack up merits but they don't get it without attending and hopefully learning. There was no guarantee you'd learn in the 'old days' either.
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

Joe,

Sorry if I've somehow offended you. I was just trying to find a way to fill some of my down time after back surgery (I'm out of commission for at least 3 months), so I thought I'd do a couple of the longer webinars, since I'll have plenty of time. I'll probably watch most of the free ones too, but I was just curious about the credits. I'm sorry that you feel that the degree has been "dumbed down" by being able to view webinars from at home, instead of having to travel to listen to the same seminar hours away, in a conference center. I really am trying to earn my Masters the right way. I've committed to sending only client images in for print competion, even if it takes longer to merit with them, and I really want to learn when it comes to the education portion. However, I guess I don't see how viewing a seminar on the web is any different then sitting in it elsewhere, other than having to pay the additional travel expenses. I'm sorry you feel differently, and as I said, I didn't mean to offend anyone. Just figured recovery time would give me the opportunity to get a jump-start on the education portion.

Angela
    Angela Lawson CPP
    Michigan CPP Liason
    AGL Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Galioto View Post
    ...you should have been around when you really had to earn a degree. when i was getting the degrees you had to attend a week long class at winona or an affiliate school.
    i'm sure there's some old guys left around here who remember how it used to be....
    joe
    Joe,
    It's still that way for some things...
    - I work for five full days at the national judging each year and I get 2 "Service Merits" for that effort.
    - I help put up and take down the print exhibit each year at the national convention, and I get a "Service Merit" for doing that.
    - I just finished being the Chairman for our State Convention - that took over my life for about three weeks and I got 2 "Service Merits" for that.
    - I too, don't quite "get it" that you can get a "Service Merit" for sitting in front of your computer in your living room for a few hours at a "webinar". It sounds like the merit system needs to be tightened up a bit. I could understand giving some kind of "Continuing Education Credit" towards CPP recertification, but a "Service Merit" should be given for "Service". Just My Opinion.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

I guess I must be missing something, because I thought that the "Service" merits were a combination of service AND education. I am not by an means saying that I wanted to obtain all of my service merits from "sitting in front of the computer". I was just trying to utilize some of the benefits of not having to travel, to work on some of them via seminars on the web. (Especially during my down time). Obviously I have touched a nerve that I didn't mean to. I have no problems with having to obtain my service merits in whichever fashion PPA choses to allow, so if the system should be changed, so be it. Personally, I think a combination of Print Competion, Service Merits, and Education Merits would be a more accurate description of the current system, at least as I understand it, instead of just lumping everything under "Service" merits that are obtained outside of Print competition. If it was described that way, and possibly broken down into a certain amount of each having to be obtained, would that be a more acceptable approach?

Again, I apologize that such a small question seems to have evoked such feelings of resentment, it was not my intention.

Angela
    Angela Lawson CPP
    Michigan CPP Liason
    AGL Photography