Recommend Classes for 1st Timer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Recommend Classes for 1st Timer

All of the classes look great! I hate to do the enni-minni-mini-mo thing. Does anyone recommend classes?
    Missy
    website~Melissa E. Wertz Photography
    blog~Images by "Missy"

And one day I will combined them on a splash page making it really simple. :-)

Default Re: Recommend Classes for 1st Timer

Hey Missy,
    I have never been to an Imaging USA, but I am going this year and am really excited! I signed up for the pre-classes, One: The business of Photography and the second: Speed shooting with the Pros. I will let you know that Sandy Puc' is a wonderful speaker and her "Tots 2 Teens" would be an awesome class to take. I hope that helps at all. And my name is Carrie Freeland, so maybe I will see you around Imaging USA! It's always nice to meet other professionals!

I have never been to one of her seminars. I have put a star by her name. I am excited too! Look forward to meeting you!
    Missy
    blog~Images by "Missy"

I'm definitely planning on going this year! Can't wait... it will be my first time! I'm looking at anything business end and lighting as I will be adding on a studio soon.

If you ever get a chance to buy her DVD for bellies to babies before seeing the tots 2 teens. It's sort of a whole series she is doing. Her babies one has dramatically helped me work with babies because being 25 I have no children and not much experience with them. So she is a gold star for sure!!

Once it gets closer to Imaging, we will have to all email each other and meet up somewhere

my email is carrie@freelandphotos.com and website is www.freelandphotos.com

You have to be careful and not skip a class based on the very dry sounding class descriptions.

I just read the precon class descriptor for the one my wife Allison Rodgers is teaching with my buddy Carol Andrews. It nearly put me to sleep.

I don't know who wrote such dry stuff but I can tell you any class with Carol and Allison teaching will be very interesting. I will be there too and may even re-enact a Star Wars scene or two.

You just never know what kind of wacky hijinx will ensue.

Wait... Oh no did I break a unofficial or official rule that says I am not supposed to mention anything that I am involved in? Are the PPA police going to get after me! It's not like I am telling everyone to get up Monday morning to come see me and Allison on Platform at 7am talk about thermal coupling dampeners of sub space hyper drive systems and of course how to sell product designs.

oh wait I just did.
    Jeff Rodgers
    Mayor of lbōbi
    The little blog of big ideas
    http://lbobi.com/

lbōbi (pronounced luh-bo-bee) is the very first community blog for creatives. FREE to join & EVERY member can make a post, just keep it interesting and fun.

If you're having a hard time deciding... print out the schedule, and start circling your favorites. Cross out those you don't think would be beneficial to you at this point, and then evaluate the list. Where do you want to improve over the next year? (which of those classes look like they'd be helpful?).

I took a marked-up schedule like this with me to IUSA the past two years. The nice thing was... Even though I starred my "high priorities" I could still quickly reference which ones would also be interesting. I ended up making a few last minute mind-changes, and I also snuck out of one or two early to make another class, because, like Jeff said,... the descriptions don't always accurately capture the dynamics of the program.

In the end, though, there is only really so much you can take in at once. Make it a point to keep track of "life-changing tidbits" ... and choose which you need to implement when you get back to your studio .
    Betsy Finn, Cr.Photog., CPP
    bphotoart :: learnwithbetsy :: email

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Rodgers View Post
    You have to be careful and not skip a class based on the very dry sounding class descriptions.

I just read the precon class descriptor for the one my wife Allison Rodgers is teaching with my buddy Carol Andrews. It nearly put me to sleep.

I don't know who wrote such dry stuff but I can tell you any class with Carol and Allison teaching will be very interesting. I will be there too and may even re-enact a Star Wars scene or two.

You just never know what kind of wacky hijinx will ensue.

Wait... Oh no did I break a unofficial or official rule that says I am not supposed to mention anything that I am involved in? Are the PPA police going to get after me! It's not like I am telling everyone to get up Monday morning to come see me and Allison on Platform at 7am talk about thermal coupling dampeners of sub space hyper drive systems and of course how to sell product designs.

oh wait I just did.
    I will have to bring my DH for that one so he can translate.
    Missy
    blog~Images by "Missy"

Quote Originally Posted by Betsy_Finn View Post
    If you're having a hard time deciding... print out the schedule, and start circling your favorites. Cross out those you don't think would be beneficial to you at this point, and then evaluate the list. Where do you want to improve over the next year? (which of those classes look like they'd be helpful?).

I took a marked-up schedule like this with me to IUSA the past two years. The nice thing was... Even though I starred my "high priorities" I could still quickly reference which ones would also be interesting. I ended up making a few last minute mind-changes, and I also snuck out of one or two early to make another class, because, like Jeff said,... the descriptions don't always accurately capture the dynamics of the program.

In the end, though, there is only really so much you can take in at once. Make it a point to keep track of "life-changing tidbits" ... and choose which you need to implement when you get back to your studio .
    So you do not have to register for classes when you register for convention (except for precon of course). My printed out sheet is already marked up. I think I need to print out another one. There are some that are I want to take that go on at the same time. sigh.
    Missy
    blog~Images by "Missy"

Jealous! New house + new computer (old one broke again) + slow business = no money to attend. So short of winning the contest (thanks Jeff for the shameless promotion of your link!), it looks like I'll be sitting it out again this year. Have fun for me though and learn a lot!!!
    Kristi Sanger
    Kristi Sanger Photography
    http://www.ksphotography.org
    http://kristisanger.blogspot.com/
    NILMDTS