Kerrville Texas Judging - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Kerrville Texas Judging

Quote Originally Posted by John_Metcalfe View Post
    if your work is outstanding it will be noticed, no matter what the format.
    Amen

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Kevyn
    Thanks for your post. You wanted this addressed " which I have not heard anyone address: that many of the photographers I spoke to at the competition shared the same general perception of biased scoring that I had. Most of them have been in the photographic industry their whole adult lives, some with "danglies" themselves" . I am not trying to be confrontational here but I need to know before I can give an opinion on this. Were they feeling there was a biased scoring in this competition or in competition in general? Could it be that one or some of them were thinking strictly about this competition at this paticular meeting and you and / or others read it as competition in general?

I agree perception is a major part of competition and lets face it life in general. From you post about this competition, it is my perception that the competition might have been all mixed togeather, Photographic Open, Wedding, Illistrative and Electronic Imaging images all shuffled and judged at one time. If so would it be benificial to suggest to the association board that they consider seperating the entries (at least Electronic Imaging) into individual catagories so that the viewer and the image makers know what and how they are being scored? Maybe even post a sign about the different catagories and what the differences are.
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Wow, it's been a long time since I looked at this post. Sorry it took so long to respond.

Tracye, I'm sure I would have loved your image and the emotional tying-in of your sister's wedding and her pregnancy. That just sounds flat out cool - what great visual storytelling! Please understand that I was wowed by the illustrative images at the state competition, and am a big fan of Corel Painter 11 and used it on a Unity Candle/Gazebo shot - the first wall print I sold since getting back into photography. The old-school memories of airbrushing actual paints on top of photographic emulsion prior to over-spraying makes me feel like Fred Flintstone now that I have discovered the Intuos4 tablet... My gripe was not with illustrative images or digital enhancements or colaborative efforts at all, but with the judging bias I perceived towards the illustrative category. I love doing digital enhancements of my over-shot sessions; unfortunately, the main software package I'm using at the close of Year 1 of my business is not Lightroom, Photoshop or Painter -- but QuickBooks Pro. I'm currently buried in trying to project which MACRS accumulated depreciation scheme for class 57 fixed assets will have max benefits to my projected income over the next five years. Can anyone else relate? (Last night before bed my 15 year old second-shooter commented that the photography business is 20% photography and 80% business).

And Keith, great questions and not at all confrontational. The majority of negative comments I heard were brought about by that particular competition, although there were a number who mentioned that they saw the same pattern in other judgings of favoring illustrative over "classical portraiture". I think images were mixed together. Even if I were a seasoned judge trained to avoid bias, after 25 years of seeing the most outstanding classical portraits with stunning lighting and posing pass by my eyes those images would begin to fade together into the ordinary. Now in the past few years seeing the new, unique and jaw-dropping illustrative works of Richard Sturdevant et al. come through print competitions, who would not go nuts over his stuff? It would be very difficult to see a classical portrait (regardless of how beautiful and technically excellent) follow such illustrative magic and not give it a lower score. I agree that at the very least illustrative works should be kept within their category and (I would add) judged last. They truly are in a different class and judging rules as well as processes should fairly reflect that fact.

I also see where bad impressions from local competitions could lead to very unfair assumptions about national/international competitions.

Again, I greatly appreciate everyone's input. This discussion has certainly modified my views, and I hope it has expanded the reader's views and provided food for thought as well.

Cheers, y'all!
    Kevyn

If your comments regarding Richard's illustrative work is in reference to the image "The Legend of Brazos Texas Ranger" that scored a 100 at SWPPA, take a long hard look at each one of the images that make up that composite image. Richard's posing and lighting of his subject in each image that makes up that composite would rival any classical portrait, and is, in fact absolutely classical. He managed to put a bunch of exquisite classical portraits (any one of which by itself would invariably score very high) together in a very artistic manner and managed to tell a very compelling story. Richard is a very talented guy, and his images are strong story tellers, but they would not score so highly if it were not for the inherent quality of each of the individual separate images. Hanging one image is tough - hanging 6 or 7 inside of one image is even tougher. Heck, since he can't use any of the images again that he used for the composite, he basically gave away 5 or 6 merit prints to get that one composite merit print! In my opinion, it's not the fact that it is was an illustrative composite that made it score so well, it was the fact that it was such a great compilation of classic portraits into one illustrative piece. The question that comes to mind is whether it should be in the Illustrative or the Portrait category??? It's a toss up...

But, in my personal opinion, those kinds of images are actually a bit harder to score extremely high on, since if one image in the bunch is weak, poorly lit, off color, or whatever, and it can drag the others down. But when it all comes together just right, like this one did, it's a beautiful thing !!!
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 04-08-2010 at 02:12 AM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman