Ask the Experts: Need CC for Nationals

Default Ask the Experts: Need CC for Nationals

I was thinking about entering "Lonely" as one of my prints for 2010 Nationals. I have looked at this image so much that I need some expert eyes. This will be my first time to enter and I'm so excited. I have two merited prints from SWPPA and would love to try to get 4 for 4. Thanks in advance for your expertise!!!

Yikes... how do you get the image to attach a little bigger?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Ask the Experts: Need CC for Nationals

http://www.ppa.com/community/forums/...ad.php?t=16257

Here is the link for info on how to post bigger. We need to see a larger image before we can give accurate comments. From the small image all I can tell you ius it appears there needs to be some cropped off the right.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Thank you so much for the link Keith but I'm going to have to wait until the translator gets homes. I tried Thanks again for all the help!!! I'll try to repost the image tonight.

Link to PPA Album:

http://www.ppa.com/community/forums/...pictureid=4343

Thanks so much Keith!!!!

Lisa,

Is this a composited image? What makes me think that is a couple telltale signs. First she is pretty close to the house, so being that close she looks out of scale. She is taller then the actual doorway into the house. If she were clear out in front of the house that would make sense but as she sppears to be on the first step something's not right. Next the light is striking her face from camera left but striking the house from camera right. These two things will be issues in competition. If it's a composited image though, you could correct some of that. In that case I would change the composition as well.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe

Keith... thank you so much for your expertise... it means a lot to me!!! Yes... it is a collage. Rats... I was afraid of the lighting on the house... but I didn't think about the doorway. I will rework. Thanks again and it totally makes sense to me! Would the correct composition and lighting... do you think it would be believable?

If the lighting matches and the scale and proportion are correct then yes it could be believable. How it will do in competition I wouldn't be willing to say based on a small file. Like I said before I just can't tell the lighting pattern on her face from this small image. You also need to fix the "glow" around the roof of the house where it appears the sky was darkened but a narrow band of lighter sky is left.

This is a good lesson for everyone. You were afraid about the lighting on the house. If anyone ever wonders " will this be a problem?", the answer is yes. If you think it might be then the judges definately will think it is. If you ever wonder "will the judges notice XYZ?", again the answer is yes. That's what we are trained to do, notice stuff.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe