accounting and sms

Default accounting and sms

So I'm thinking I could be ahead of the game (and I really need all the help I can get!!!) if I get my accounting business in shape before I go to the seminar. I've been scoping out Quick Books, but it appears there are several different types. Any suggestions? I was looking at QB Pro 2009 (Accounting) B and H has it on sale for $110. I want to be able to interface with the graphs they give us at the seminar and my bank. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Default Re: accounting and sms

QB pro is the one to get. All the more deluxe ones have features that most studios don't need, and the basic does not integrate with any of the programs like StudioPlus and possibly Successware.
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

Check out Successware. I think it is what SMS recommends, and since you are just getting things in order, why have to enter things twice when you decide to go the SuccessWare route. It is a fantastic piece of software, and has changed the way even my TINY studio operates...

I don't think you have to enter anything twice for either software.

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Gan View Post
    I don't think you have to enter anything twice for either software.
    If you make the switch from QB to Successware you will have to re-enter your data into SuccessWare. It isn't a huge deal, but it is something to be aware of.

With Studio Plus, you press a button to either Make deposits, or enter invoices, and it automatically goes into QB. And when your business is doing well enough to go into SP, it's a simple import to Studio Plus.

But for now, unless you're doing over $100K a year, QB pro should be the answer. SMS has templates to reconfigure your accounts to work with the photography biz.

—Michael Gerber