Information needed on comp prints

Question Information needed on comp prints

Hello all,
    Please don't laugh, I'm new to this....Ok I am wondering a few things about print competition and any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.
    1. I've only been a PPA member for a few months, can I still enter competitions? If so then are there some I cannot?

2.What do the judges look for other than the obvious, lighting, composition, good print quality, etc.

3. About print merits, how does this work exactly? I've read about them plenty but I'm still not getting it. What do you do with your print merits when they add up? Is this how you become a craftsman, or master photographer or do they help you get there?

I think that's about it. I know these questions are not the type to be in this area but I ask because the first time I went to Imaging USA I was stunned in awe when I studied the prints in the loan collection. Each and every one was soo beautiful and I remember thinking that someday mine would be there so this is something I am really interested in. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Barb

Hi Barb,

Welcome to the PPA. I will try to answer your questions.

1. I've only been a PPA member for a few months, can I still enter competitions? If so then are there some I cannot?

Yes, as a member you can enter print competition, in order to receive merits, the prints must be sent to either the national competition or an affiliate (I believe your affiliate in Florida is Southeastern PPA). If the print receives a merit in affiliate, it must be sent to nationals in order to count toward a degree.

2.What do the judges look for other than the obvious, lighting, composition, good print quality, etc.

The judging criteria is as follows:

1. Impact
    2. Creativity
    3. Style
    4. Composition
    5. Print Presentation
    6. Color Harmony
    7. Center of Interest
    8. Lighting
    9. Subject Matter
    10 Technique
    11. Story Telling
    12. Technical Excellence/Print Quality

3. About print merits, how does this work exactly? I've read about them plenty but I'm still not getting it. What do you do with your print merits when they add up? Is this how you become a craftsman, or master photographer or do they help you get there?

Merits: the magic number is 25.

To become a Master, you must first be PPA Certified and have 25 total merits, a minimum of 13 merits must be from print competition the remaining 12 can be from speaking, education or additional print merits. If an image "goes loan" you receive 2 print merits.

To become a Craftsman, 25 total, minimum of 13 must be speaking merits, the rest can be print, education, judging or again, additional speaking merits.

The merits to obtain one degree must be separate from the other, in other words to become a Master Craftsman, you need 50 total merits.

I hope this helps with your questions.

Jeremy
    J. A. Wieczorek, M. Photog.

Thumbs up

Hi Barabara,
    I am a print judge and have judged over 15 states around the country.
    if you want any prints critiqued, you may send them to me and I will be glad to help.
    In the art of photography,
    Keith E. Lewis M.Photog.,Cr.,CPP

Hey Keith,

Is that you? Did you judge VT this year?

Don Chick
    Don
    M.Photog., Cr., CPP, D.C.Ph.

www.donchick.com

5. Default

Hi Barb,
    Welcome to PPA and to print competition. J. A. is correct in that your regional print competition is Southeastern Professional Photographers Association (SEPPA). If you are a member of the PP of Florida you are automatically a member of SEPPA. If you are not I recommend joining as well as your local guild. The SEPPA competition will be held April 13-14, 2007 in Atlanta, GA. The deadline for entries will be April 10. You don't have to be a member of SEPPA to enter but you are passing up a lot of educational opportunities close to you in not belonging to your state association. Also you miss a great chance to build relationships with your peers that really come in handy over the years.
    The PPA International Judging was held this past year at Dayton Beach Community College and may possibly be there again next year. It is close to you and would be a great opportunity to see the top judging. Even better, volunteer to handle prints and really see it up close and personal. Some of the best education anywhere.
    J. A. was also correct in his other answers to your questions.

Buddy Stewart, PEC vice-chairman