Print Competition
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Print Competition

Hello,
    What print competition catagory would I enter Pet photos? I'm guessing Portrait..but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks!
    Marie

Default Re: Print Competition

Marie,
    For what competition? I assume it's a local or state? Some states and locals have seperate catergories for pets or animals and some don't. At an affiliate or national judging it's just portrait open, commercial or wedding.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

do you have the image to show?
    john

Hi and thank you. Lets just assume for national PPA (Which I won't be doing anytime soon) so was just curious. Sorry if I'm not making sense, just learning about all this stuff!
    John, I'm guessing by your question, that a pet picture could be in multiple catagories?

Thanks,
    Marie

Quote Originally Posted by Marie_M View Post
    John, I'm guessing by your question, that a pet picture could be in multiple categories?

Thanks,
    Marie

Yep! Just about everything involved is subjective. Go figure...
    john

Marie
    Pet photographs in PPA's competition would most likely be in the portrait open catagory. But there is always a chance for the commercial area if the image has the technical excellance and composition (to allow for copy and or headline).
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_A_Howe View Post
    Marie
    Pet photographs in PPA's competition would most likely be in the portrait open catagory. But there is always a chance for the commercial area if the image has the technical excellance and composition (to allow for copy and or headline).
    Keith
    Hey Keith,

Why commercial category if it's not a commercial photo? Doesn't that undermine the category?

And many commercial photos don't have copy or are not for magazine covers, so no need for blank space. Commercial work shouldn't be judged on composition, thinking that you need to allow for copy or "headlines", if you don't know the usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Reznicki View Post
    Why commercial category if it's not a commercial photo? Doesn't that undermine the category?
    Because you can if you want to. I have seen people enter wedding, fine art or portrait images as commercial usually because they felt there would be few commercial entries in the competition and having it entered as commercial would give them a better shot at some awards like a Fuji or Kodak. Does that undermine the catergory? In my mind yes but that's a choice the photographer has to make for themselves. PEC is always working hard to simplify the rules. I suppose they could say commercial has to be commercial and you have to prove it by showing how the image was used commercially. I don't think anyone wants that to happen.

As far as composition it does not effect scoring on a commercial print if there is not room for a headline or copy. The reason I mentioned that was because it could be the reason why the image might be better entered commercial instead of portrait open. I have seen images be entered as commercial that seem to have odd composition, but when you consider how they will be used in a layout with a headline or copy, it makes sense. Many commercial entries will include a tearsheet for just such a reason. I didn't mean to imply that commercial entries had to be composed as if they were magazine covers, but what I meant to suggest is that is something that might make a portrait be legitimatly considered a commercial image. If I had told her it should be entered as portrait open, then you know somebody else would have posted behind me saying she could enter it as commercial if she wanted to. So sorry if I wasn't real clear.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe

Keith,

Thanks for the explanation. It helps clarify. But I still have a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_A_Howe View Post
    I suppose they could say commercial has to be commercial and you have to prove it by showing how the image was used commercially. I don't think anyone wants that to happen.
    Why wouldn't anyone want that to happen?

Entering a photo into commercial simply because you "have a better shot" does undermine that category.
    It's gaming the system, in my opinion.
    My feeling is that it isn't a "real" commercial image, it should be entered into the open.
    If PEC wants to strengthen the commercial category, it has to have some integrity, otherwise, frankly, commercial photographers wouldn't enter it. If it isn't strong, it should simply be eliminated.

this is the same thing I learned my first year entering when it was suggested I enter an image of a person in the illustrative instead of portrait because it'd never merit in that category, few do.

I think this could be 'one of those things' that no one would be happy changing as there would always be that line in the sand that deserves to be crossed.
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com