Opinions on WHCC for comp prints?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Opinions on WHCC for comp prints?

I'm about to enter my first print competition, and have seen the output from one of the local labs (extremely fine, IMO). As a miserly yankee, I'm keen to avoid overspending, but as one who is quality-driven, I'm not about to sacrifice my chances for a merit to save a few $.

The bottom line is that the labs most of the other people seem to use charge $50-65 for a comp print. That includes density adjustments, the print, mounting and lacquering. WHCC charges $25 for a mounted comp print, but I'm not certain they make the density adjustments for you. They also are using a glossy paper that they claim does not require lacquering.

Has anyone used WHCC for competition prints? Did you have to do the density adjustments yourself? How did you like the quality?
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Default Ask about ...

Hi Mark;

Number one ... for that price, I'd guess they are using ordinary cardboard mountboard. You should pay for black-core Gator-Foam mounting. And definitely get high gloss spray !!! You do NOT want any chance of the panel seeing fingerprints. One thing I do is order an 8X10 OR 10X8 of each image first. Then I look at each under judging light intensity. If they look good I then order competition size mounted on black core gator foam. I have all totally ready in Photoshop before I send them.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP
    floryphotog@mindspring.com

Default Whcc

I do know that Vicki Taufer uses that lab and she has won a lot of merits for her prints...So I am sure they know what they are doing...you could check her web site out and maybe email her to ask her what she thinks of her lab...her stuff is awesome! vgallery.net

Default whoops

Sorry I forgot to sing my name...I heard it is a rule here....Mary Jane Smith
    (whcc lab reply)

Default geeeez

I better stop talking...sign my name....not sing my name....

6. Default

D. Craig wrote "You should pay for black-core Gator-Foam mounting". IMO this type of mounting is not necessary. I have approx. 90 print merits and have never mounted an image this way. If the image is a medium or darker one you will have to "dress" the image with a black marker by darkening the sides to complete the presentation. A black marker is considerably less than one of these mounts and will last for several "dressings".
    Buddy Stewart, PEC vice-chairman

Quote Originally Posted by D. Craig Flory
    Hi Mark;

Number one ... for that price, I'd guess they are using ordinary cardboard mountboard. You should pay for black-core Gator-Foam mounting. And definitely get high gloss spray !!! You do NOT want any chance of the panel seeing fingerprints. One thing I do is order an 8X10 OR 10X8 of each image first. Then I look at each under judging light intensity. If they look good I then order competition size mounted on black core gator foam. I have all totally ready in Photoshop before I send them.
    They say "All competition prints are printed on Kodak Professional Glossy or Metallic paper, which negates the need to add a high gloss spray or laminate to your images. We will mount your prints on black or white competition thickness foamboard." Does anyone know if this is the sort of foambard that is easily dimpled with finger pressure?

How do you adjust for density? Do you send them several 8x10s at differing densities and choose the one you like best to be rendered as a comp print? What do you use for your proofing light source?

Oh, and does anyone print full bleed for competitions, or are they pretty much all step mounted?
    Last edited by Mark_Levesque; 03-28-2006 at 03:41 PM.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Thumbs up Love Whcc....

I have used WHCC for everything including the comp prints & so do many of my Master friends (one is even a PPA Juror), you turn the image in the way you want it, color artwork ect, they turn out a very beautiful image, like the ones that used to cost me $100, or more to enter comp. I strongly recomend them for all there services, prices, service, you actually speak to a human when you call, really, no phone mail hell... they do cards, book marks, all the diff types of prints & finishing services, & in 2 years I have recieve 2 things that needed redoing, they did it so fast it was at my door correct in a couple of days, no questions asked, they are fast too! Best Lab I have ever worked with! Go for it, tell them Catherine Reese (one of thier fan club members ha ha) sent ya!!
    Catherine Reese

Default Two things ...

Hi group;

I called WHCC this afternoon. Two answers will keep me from trying them for competition prints ... #1 No gator-foam mounting ... especially no black-core gator foam.(they tried to push cardboard mount board, which bows) #2 No high-gloss spray available. I do all my own spraying but still like it available if I don't want to do it some year. Contrary to what has been said ... glossy paper shows finger prints BIG TIME.
    I don't necessarily need high gloss spray but lustre would take down the gloss surface which would be counter-productive. So, like thousands of others, I spray with high gloss lacquer. I will keep checking back to see if they added gator foam and also high gloss spray. My prints are all done for this year so I'm just looking ahead to possiblities for 2007 prints.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP
    floryphotog@mindspring.com

We mount on gatorfoam but do NOT do so for our Heart of America (four state convention) because the standards they require are a thinner mount. We order special artboard for this and use either the high gloss laquer spray or a gloss laminate.

The laminate has been very popular in the last few years as it's very high gloss and FASTER than the many coats of spray complete with drying times.

Why is it, we all know when the conventions are, when the deadlines are yet we're working up to the last minute to get the prints done? (myself included!!!)

Just entered my first convention prints, got them back yesterday. Woo hoo! Two merited and the other two got Honorable Mention.
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com