will this work for competition

Default will this work for competition

hi everyone...

please take a look at this image...it was from a senior session and i was thinking of entering for our local guild competition. i've entered before but never won...is this any good for competition>
    Attached Images Attached Images

... too small ... try posting larger...
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Agree with Rick -- it's too small to see. Some thoughts below, based on what I could see at the small size. If you post bigger... you'll definitely get more accurate input.

At this size, a couple things stick out at me. There are a number of light-traps in the sky and along the right side of the frame. Did you burn down the image around the subjects? Because it looks a lot darker everywhere else but on the pavement around them. I can't really get a feel for the posing etc at this size, but there is a highlight on the right subject's thigh that right away draws my eye (that, and the big white screening on the shirt)... in my opinion, the image would almost be stronger if you took that right subject completely out of the composition (as it is, the two subjects compete for my eye's attention).
    Betsy Finn, Cr.Photog., CPP
    bphotoart :: learnwithbetsy :: email

I agree it is too small to give detailed CC as when an image is posted small like this what stands out is the problems and you can't see possitive details. Here is what I am seeing as it is now.
    The image feels very busy/distracting. Betsy pointed out the problem on the ground that is giving a keyhole efect around the subjects. Watch out for glowing lines around buildings when you run heavy effects on an image.
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Lynette,

Having purposely not looked at other's responses. I must say there are a lot of things in competition with your subjects along with being over-processed.
    The placement of the subjects need to be taken away from center also. (preferably IMO lower and to the left side as the size of the print stands)

My wish from you is to see your work before the artwork is done rather than after. (Shown as a preview if you will.)

This way we can evaluate your image on it's own merit and assist in building the image instead of commenting on what wrong with it.

Hopefully you can send us a larger version in the future.
    Last edited by John_Metcalfe; 05-05-2009 at 01:11 PM.
    john

Quote Originally Posted by lynette_bradshaw View Post
    ...... i was thinking of entering for our local guild competition.......>
    Lynette,

If this "guild" competition is not a PPA type judging then you may NOT want to present it like you would if you were trying for a merit. My experience with "guild" type of shows is that most judges don't have a clue as to what a good image is, (i.e. it has to be ARTISTIC and is thus judged on some level that the mortal human would never understand. Also, those judges have no more knowledge of what a hot spot is as opposed to proper placement, etc). In my opinion, the PPA judging criteria is what every print judge should be using.

Just my rambling thoughts.
    Roger Williams, CPP
    www.Tranquility-art.com Portrait/Wedding
    www.TAP-Online.net Sports when time allows

The reason that I said that I'd like to see it larger is that I'm looking at it on a 17" monitor and all that I can see is an image that looks like a color filtration technique has been heavily applied. I can see no detail in the faces at all, only a high contrast and a bright red skin tone - it might just be be my monitor throwing me off - it may look better on a larger screen...
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Default On my ...

On my 19" monitor it looks fuzzy. I echo what others said ... we need to see bigger. An image at least 8" X 6.4" would be good.