I had In 2006 my print scored an 87 regionally but never sent it to ppa now what?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I had In 2006 my print scored an 87 regionally but never sent it to ppa now what?

Like my thread states, back in 2006 one of my prints scored an 87 from our regional competition. Me being stupid, was unaware that I needed to sent it down to international print judging...am I too late or can I send it in a my fourth print for this year?? Thanks!!

Taylor

taylor,
    go ahead and send. Effectively you have done what is called busting a seal. It will enter the comp like other images, and will be judged to see if it is a merit. It might still be, and it might not be. For me I would always rather send a print that scored an 87, rather than a print that has not gone through a panel.

Jeff
    Jeff Dachowski M.Photog Cr.CPP A.C.ph
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

www.DachowskiPhotography.com

Avatar by 2008 Diamond photographer of the year-Don Chick

Thanks Jeff!

Quote Originally Posted by taylor_hubbard View Post
    Like my thread states, back in 2006 one of my prints scored an 87 from our regional competition. Me being stupid, was unaware that I needed to sent it down to international print judging...am I too late or can I send it in a my fourth print for this year?? Thanks!!

Taylor
    If the print was sealed in 2006, the seal has "expired". It can still be submitted, it just will not be "automatically" accepted for exhibition. If the image had been submitted in the year it was sealed, it would have bypassed the "for Merit" panel and gone straight to a "for Loan" panel. In this case, the image will be sent to a panel judging unsealed entries and will again be judged for acceptance. If it is accepted and receives a Merit at the International judging, it will then be judged "for Loan".

Whether it is a safer bet that a print that has already scored an 87 three years ago will have a higher probability of being accepted than one that has never been scored is a matter of conjecture. Perspectives change, and the bar has been raised quite a bit in recent years. Images that would have done well a few years ago sometimes don't do as well today as techniques that were fresh and new a few years ago are now commonplace. In contrast, last year we received a print that was sealed 10 years ago but had never been submitted to the International Judging go before the jurors and it again received a Merit, proving that it was merit worthy then and was still merit worthy today - Good work is good work and that will be recognized by the jurors.

Busting a seal is not an uncommon event. Sometimes, a photographer focused on getting the image into the Loan Collection, will reprint an image with some changes that they believe will push the image from the General Collection into the Loan Collection, so they "Bust the seal" on the Merit and send in the "improved" version hoping for a Loan classification - sometimes it works and they get a Loan - sometime it receives an Merit but not a Loan, and sometimes, the Busted print doesn't get accepted - busting a seal in that situation is a gamble.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

I don't think this is a hijack since Taylor's question was already answered.

My question is, how stupid is it to not send in an image that sealed at regionals? My sister and I both have one that merited. But we just never sat down and got any other prints ready to enter - and we just really don't have the money for two print cases, two overnight shipping fees, etc. Are we going to regret not entering because of giving up the seal? Would we be better off to just send in our print cases with one print each?

I do realize how stupid the above question is making me look.
    Lori Clapp
    www.amomentintime2.com
    Will I EVER know how to use what I learn?

How badly do you want the merit? If you get to the point where you are just one merit shy of your Master's then you will regret it. If you have a year where you only need two more and you get three or four then it will never be an issue. Why can't you send the other non-sealed prints from regionals. You never know, with a different panel at national the end results may be different.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith_A_Howe; 04-27-2009 at 04:34 AM.
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Dang - i was kind of hoping you wouldn't see this Keith! All the times you've helped me, and I don't even take the time to get prints ready! I really hate to give up a merit - I know they aren't easy to come by!! But at the same time, i hate to enter prints that I don't really like!

When is the absolute deadline? I know it will cost more, but maybe it's more do-able than by the end of this week!

(Keith - I really don't think anything else I entered at Regionals would do very well anywhere!)
    Lori Clapp
    www.amomentintime2.com
    Will I EVER know how to use what I learn?

Quote Originally Posted by Lori_Clapp View Post
    Dang - i was kind of hoping you wouldn't see this Keith! All the times you've helped me, and I don't even take the time to get prints ready! I really hate to give up a merit - I know they aren't easy to come by!! But at the same time, i hate to enter prints that I don't really like!

When is the absolute deadline? I know it will cost more, but maybe it's more do-able than by the end of this week!

(Keith - I really don't think anything else I entered at Regionals would do very well anywhere!)
    Lori,
    I wouldn't give up the merit - they're too hard to come by. If you thought that they were good enough to send to Regional, then they should be good enough to send to National. Heck, you already have one seal, so just go ahead and send in what you sent to SWPPA !!!!
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Thank you for all of the discussion on this topic. Here is my next question. Do I take the seal off from 2006? I was told to take it off because they will not judge it but rather send it back to me. What should I do??

Wo told you that? That's bogus. Just leave it on there. You can cross it out if you want but it does not effect the print in anyway.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.