Electronic Imaging vs Photography

Default Electronic Imaging vs Photography

Without starting a debate, can anyone answer when an image should be submitted into the electronic imaging section of the competition vs the photography section? I'm not sure where the line is drawn. I would think that minor retouching and color corrections on an image would be acceptable for an entry in the photography section, but how much post production can be done on an image before it no longer qualifies for the photography section?

As an example, in the description of the photograph on page 16 of the April issue of PP, it says the photographer added "...layers of texture to enhance the mood..." among some other post work. If that were my piece, I would be inclined to enter it into the electronic imaging section of the competition. The same goes for the upper image on page 15 and the image on page 14. What do you think?

I also think it would be helpful if PPA would include that information (whether it qualifies for electronic imaging or photography) in the photos it prints in the folio section of the magazine. It sure would clear things up a bit, at least for me!

Amy, EI is not a seperate classification, like commercial. EI is a whole seperate case of entries with a seperate entry fee and different judging. To be entered in portrait open, some part of the image needs to be a photograph. In EI it can be made completely in PS if the maker desires. Open is judged on the image before us. EI is judged based on what the maker chose to do and how well it was accomplished. ( However still taken in to account the 12 elements) The EI artist does NOT have to be the original photographer. So to answer your question many images would probably be appropiate for either competition. It's up to you to decide if you want to be judged on the image itself, or the digital enhancements that you did. Unless you are wanting to enter two cases with 4 prints each, I would suggest you stick with open. That's what builds merits towards a Master's degree. EI merits would build toward a Master's of Electronic Imaging.

FWIW, EI was first introduced as a competition for videographers. Then as digital arose it was put in with EI. So for a short time any image that was created digitally was entered under EI. Then it further evolved to be a competition of digital artwork and enhancement.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Default Okay, I think I get it

Keith:

I am not creative enough with Photoshop to create an image without first starting with an actual photograph, so my manipulated images are eligible to be entered in the photography competition, correct? Okay, that makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking! Thanks very much for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by idyphoto View Post
    so my manipulated images are eligible to be entered in the photography competition, correct?
    Correct

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.