New category .... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Looking back on it, Master was pretty easy to get, it was just a matter of time. I also had an in house color lab where I could spend hours working on one print if I wanted to. I love print competition and have learned so much from it.

Craftsman was much harder for me. I dont really like to speak. The anxiety before a presentation is a killer. Now I speak occasionally only if I am asked. I prefer to do something more informal geared towards what the those attending want to learn. I could spend all day demonstrating poses rather than have people stare back at me while I talk about a slide show.

Which one do I value more? I think the Masters because it was the first one.
    Jane Lydick Staid, M. Photog. Cr. CPP (only cuz I had to)

Default Re: New category ....

i think i have followed most of this conversation, but for someone just getting started with PPA.... what should be the first baby step to take? certification or one of the levels mentioned above? it's all so confusing in the beginning!!!

thanks,
    Jamie
    www.foryouphotography.com

Certification is a good step in the right direction. It will facilitate achieving the craftsman and masters degrees.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Hi Jamie;

I agree with Mark. I have been certified since 1986. With that after my name I was able to get speaking gigs as well as being a print judge at a sub state sized group. So, having certification helped me along as I went for Craftsman. (I set a goal to get it in 3 years and I did get it in 3 years) So, set a goal of how long each thing will take.

Remember that certification is not a part of PPA anymore. It is a separate organization just like PPA, SEP and EPIC. The Certification Commission has similar powers to the Board of Directors for PPA.
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by mjgower View Post
    i think i have followed most of this conversation, but for someone just getting started with PPA.... what should be the first baby step to take? certification or one of the levels mentioned above? it's all so confusing in the beginning!!!

thanks,
    Jamie
    www.foryouphotography.com
    Attend class at a PPA affiliated school like MAIPP. Each class will earn a merit towards a degree. After you've grown as a photographer you can go speak at a guild earning more merits. Attend or teach a Super Monday will get you closer to that degree. Of course you should enter print comp at every opportunity. You just can get any of the degrees overnight. You need to work at them constantly over the long haul to reach your goal.

I have to say that the explanation on the website of how to obtain any of the degree's is horrible and buried under multiple links. While it does explain you need this many merits and so on, their is just a vague description on how to earn those merits. Like print competitions for example. I have searched all over this site trying to figure out how many are held a year. So far it looks like 1 through the ppa. Which to me is mind blowing seeing as how we have what, 14,000+ members and 1 comp per year if that's the case?

I also can't figure out the CPP steps. Is their a fee involved. Who do I contact about taking the test. I see we have a forum for it with what appears to be a study group half way through the cpp book. So is it a quarterly thing? No clue! I read above that it is a separate organization that handles it, but their site is just as cryptic as this one is.

While the PPA is great for what it does and stands for, this website site is by far the most cryptic, un-user friendly site I have ever seen! I'm a hard core tech guy and went to college and I find myself scratching my head trying to obtain any clear and concise information on this site!
    Last edited by BlackTieGuy; 11-11-2009 at 01:45 AM.

I can't argue with you Robert. This link to another thread might put you in touch with some people who can help you get rolling on the degrees and certification. They are looking for people who are interested.
    http://www.ppa.com/community/forums/...ad.php?t=18456

Another point of clarification, the "Master Artist" degree is no longer given.
    Cheri MacCallum
    CPP, M. Photog., M. Artist, MEI, Cr., GFD, Ph. Artist
    Painter Portraits for Pros and Fine Art Printing Services
    http://www.artbycheri.net/proserv.html
    www.artbycherifineart.net
    http://artbycheri.typepad.com/art_by_cheri/

Quote Originally Posted by David_A._Lottes View Post
    I can't argue with you Robert. This link to another thread might put you in touch with some people who can help you get rolling on the degrees and certification. They are looking for people who are interested.
    http://www.ppa.com/community/forums/...ad.php?t=18456
    Thanks David! And Go Bears! I miss IL. SO much! lol