Merit Question

Thread: Merit Question

Default Merit Question

How long does it take to process merits? I took a class earlier this week that was supposed to give me a PPA merit. The instructor had no paperwork for merit so now I'm wondering how long I should wait to see if the merit shows up before I start calling the him and/or the organization that hosted the training about not getting credit for the merit.

What type of class was it? Was it a Continuing Educations System course, or was it a PPA sponsored one day class?
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

It was a one day training hosted by NILMDTS. There was some issue with my registration and I ended up not being on the list for the class. This error makes me nervous that I just paid for and attended training that I won't get credit for.

Did they ever get your PPA#? If you never gave them your number that would be a sure sign there is no way you could get a merit. If it's only been a week, you are jumping the gun a little. If it doesn't show up on your merit report after 2 or 3 weeks then start checking into it. Whenever we do a contimuing education program it's usually 2 weeks after we send in the paper work before the merits are issued. Merits are not processed until after the event because some people will register and then not be able to attend.
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

I asked if they wanted my PPA # but was told no. Other than to say "You will get a PPA merit for this class" the instructor knew nothing about the process or how long it would take to get the merit. He didn't have any paperwork for us to fill in other than a basic information/sign in sheet.

I don't know how this class was set up. My experience is with the continuing education workshops. Whenever we do one of those, we have a sign up sheet that includes name, contact info and PPA#. At the end of the day, we have to sign it as instructors, verifying that everyone listed was there and did attend the whole day. We mail that in to Marissa at PPA and about 2 weeks later everyone gets their merits. Now maybe in this case Marissa will look up everyone's PPA# from their names on the sign up sheet, but that seems unlikely to me. I guess if I were you I would email Marissa and ask her.
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

If you never gave a number, I cannot see how they could credit your membership. I would contact NILMDTS and check with them. I would not contact PPA until you have done so.
    Jeff
    Jeff Dachowski M.Photog Cr.CPP A.C.ph
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

www.DachowskiPhotography.com

Avatar by 2008 Diamond photographer of the year-Don Chick

I posted on their boards as well and someone posted a link to a pdf file. I guess that was supposed to filled out when you registered but there is no link to it from their registration page.

Nancy,

There is a form on the NILMDTS website that you have to fill out -- a Merit Application form. (for posterity's sake: http://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org/...etter12109.pdf).

I didn't know it existed until stumbling across it on the downloads page myself.
    Betsy Finn, Cr.Photog., CPP
    bphotoart :: learnwithbetsy :: email

Default Re: Merit Question

When you submit your NILMDTS merit form application, here is the email instructions you receive

• We send merits to PPA at the end of every month (we cannot send yours individually before that time)
    • PPA takes 10-15 business days to process and record your merits once they are received from us.
    • Your merits will show up in your PPA record usually within 6-8 weeks of submission of your merit form.
    • PPA & NILMDTS requests that you do not contact PPA directly regarding these merits.
    • If your merit has not shown up 8 weeks after you submitted your merit form, please email training@nilmdts.org. Please do not call the office as we will need time to research this for you, and just need your information in the email. Please include your name, the date of training, and the date you submitted your merit form to us.
    [I am just adding this for reference]
    Betsy Finn, Cr.Photog., CPP
    bphotoart :: learnwithbetsy :: email