Certification -- Now or Later?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Certification -- Now or Later?

I am trying to weigh the pros/cons of going through the certification process now vs. later. Is it worth that much time and money that I should make every effort to get it done as soon as possible?

My business is pretty young, so I could see how the credentials would help me -- but going through the process would take time and money I could be using elsewhere.

I was wondering if some of you could share your experiences and why you decided to get certified when you did.
    Betsy Finn, Cr.Photog., CPP
    bphotoart :: learnwithbetsy :: email

My business is pretty young, so I could see how the credentials would help me
    Sounds like you just answered your own question.

Default Not much time and money

Hey Betsy,

There's very little money, about $100, compare that to a cost of a series7 or a CPCU. I used to be a claims adjuster though was never really certified.
    Also, not that much time is involved in certification. Just read the book once or twice in a course of a week during coffe breaks and the night before the test.

Study for it now, since I think that people have a harder time taking test when they get older. Personally, I admit that my retention isnt where it was now compared to when I was in high school or even 3 years ago. I my test
    right when I got 2 years worth of client images.

Funny, now that I think about it, a high school kid could probably ace the test. Though not everything on the test can be found on the books..... There are some situational questions that you would only know if you've had it before.

A not so exact example:

Q:If you were taking a wedding potrait outdoors and the sun is reflecting on the grass creating a glare. What would you do to improve from this situation.

A: I don't remember the other scenarios but I remember the answer being: Take the potrait at a later time. This might not be the true best solution but this was the best from all the choices provided.

Anyway's take em now, also, these test are being administered in Los Angeles several times a year. Why not time it for a disney vacation with the family.
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

Thanks Marc, you've made some good points. I take it the only book you are referring to is the PPA-recommended Photography by Barbara London?

Yep, that's the book alright, check ebay first to see if anyone is selling. You might find one for $30
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

Alright, thanks

Oh, I thought I'd double check on one other thing. I don't have to have a certain amount of C/E Merit credits to get certified, that's just if I were pursuing a Master of Photography Degree, right?

Default Merits not needed for ...

Hi Betsy;

Merits are used towards Master and Craftsman. You don't need any to get certified. Conversely, you do need to be certified to become a Master.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., PPA C.P.P. Liaison, ASP
    floryphotog@mindspring.com

Default certification

I suggest if you can get your hands on the ppa study material (tapes and books)I think if it is still available is about 40 bucks. This was a great help. Pretty tough test be prepared.
    Buster Evans

Default Cpp

Betsey,

Most affiliates have a "Certification Lieason" (sp), who's responsibility is to coordinate with PPA, help applicants understand the process (application, exam & submission of 8x10 prints in proportion to your work, and as you might deliver them to clients). I think ppa.com has the lists of the people; I was once that in my state (NH). They also administer the exam locally; do not ask them to give a score; it's scored independently at PPA headquarters. Get all details on ppa.com

By all means go through the process. It is designed for our "marketing", separating you from the ones not certified. Think of it: will you hire an accountant who is not CPA? However, if I were asked, it is difficult to determine if I gained business because I was Certified. You can tell your clients that every five years you must meet requirements to maintain it.

Good Luck, George
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

David_Mithofer

Default The Tapes have been discontinued - Now or later

Sorry, but the study tapes have been discontinued. The new examination has a very good passing rate. It's tough, but it's certainly doable.

I would suggest taking it as soon as possible. There is no cost to take it again and most candidates do significantly better a second time around. I always encourage candidates to take it at the first opportunity, if you don't pass at least you will have seen what's on the test and be better prepared to study for it.

Regards,
    David Mithofer
    Manager, Member Services