Affiliate Brainstorming - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

At my local affiliate -- non-members can attend any monthly meeting for $45 I think. (now, I don't remember if it's as a guest to consider joining... I do think I recall if they join, that $45 was credited towards annual dues).

One thing, in my own experience with the local PPA affiliate -- was that the programs alone were not enough to get me active my first year as a member. I attended an event here or there -- but nothing more. Maybe it was because I didn't feel "a part of the group" (I was certainly welcomed when I was there), but after that first year a few of the veteran members started pushing me to attend. If I hadn't gotten that little nudge, I might not have made the effort to get involved. Feeling welcomed is important, but following up with new members to make sure they keep coming is important too!

Betsy Finn, Cr.Photog., CPP
    bphotoart :: learnwithbetsy :: email

Michael,

I am watching this thread very closely. Can I volunteer up my own state if you decide to take one under your own wing and revamp?
    Jackie Haggerty
    M.Photog.Cr., CPP

www.jackiehaggerty.com

I have come to accept the feeling of not knowing where I am going. And I have trained myself to love it. Because it is only when we are suspended in mid-air with no landing in sight, that we force our wings to unravel and alas begin our flight. And as we fly, we still may not know where we are going to. But the miracle is in the unfolding of the wings. You may not know where you're going, but you know that so long as you spread your wings, the winds will carry you.

― C. JoyBell C.

Consider me there!
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

Default If you want somewhere to go ...

Hi Michael;

If you would like somewhere to go ... Keith & Holly Howe are speaking at the PPAofPa convention in April. (and Don Chick is a print judge)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Gan View Post
    Consider me there!
    Ok, Michael! For the record, I was being serious. PMing you soon!
    Jackie Haggerty
    M.Photog.Cr., CPP

www.jackiehaggerty.com

I have come to accept the feeling of not knowing where I am going. And I have trained myself to love it. Because it is only when we are suspended in mid-air with no landing in sight, that we force our wings to unravel and alas begin our flight. And as we fly, we still may not know where we are going to. But the miracle is in the unfolding of the wings. You may not know where you're going, but you know that so long as you spread your wings, the winds will carry you.

― C. JoyBell C.

I know, so am I PMing you back when you pm me

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber

OK, preliminary reports are in from the PP California Western States Conference (for those of you going "eh?", We have made the conference, and the Northern one, a member benefit included with the dues of $125 per year)

Trade show still had about 3000 in attendance, Convention program attendance rose from 225 to about 350, and there was an increase of 150 new members!

We are waiting for the survey results, but I have a feeling they will be pretty favorable, based on the energy level of the attendees!

—Michael Gerber

Default Bringing Back an Old Concept

One of the biggest challenges that are facing our professional affiliates - especially the smaller local affiliates - throughout the country is the "camera club" mentality. As I've roamed through the various 20 or so affiliates, just in California alone, I've been noticing more and more "pretty pictures" and less professional work such as portraits, weddings and commercial.

Ostensibly, there's starting to be an erosion of good professional work out there and many of the newer members have no clue as to what a good professional images is supposed to look like. Thus the quality of the association's membership in many of the associations are starting to decay.

I feel it is important that all associations go back to a fundamental, and quite simple vision for their associations: Make professional photographic excellence a top priority.

With the proliferation of automatic cameras (notice I didn't say digital) Many "pro" photographers have less photographic skills because many of the newer photographers do not take even a basic Community College photography course. We joke of this many times of the "P"ro mode of the camera, but for many, this is exactly what they are doing.

The problem is, when an association does not envision photographic excellence, many of their top photographers stay away from the meetings, so newer photographers have no reference of how good pro work should actually be. So, here are some steps you must take as a leader of your association:

You have to start from somewhere, so encourage Certification. Start a study group of 10-12 members to meet for 8-12 weeks at each others studio/homes. Each member would be responsible for each of the chapters in London/Upton's "Photography". This helps each of the members understand all the basic knowledge necessary for all practicing professional photographers. Have all of the members work together in getting each others images ready for the submissions. Get your state liaison to schedule a "special day" for your group to take the exam together.

Using Northern California again as an example, they started with a study group of 12, three years ago. To date, they have 29 certified members out of a membership of about 90. This years group is near completion and I will be proctoring their exam in June. This group has about 13. These 13, in addition to another 15 in the association who have passed the written, but have not submitted their images yet, means that over 70% of the membership is either Certified, or are in the process of certifying! It has been said from many of the members that they're going for certification because "they don't want to be left out"!

Give your Masters a reason to come to the meetings. Many associations try to get new members by creating programming simple enough for new members to learn. The problem is, many of the Masters want to come and learn as well! But when they show up, they end up "giving, giving, giving" and eventually, they will not show up anymore. The answer? Start a "night school" program where members can learn from other pros, members and non-members, who are willing to host a night class at their studios. Have this program for 3 nights each month and charge the attendees about $95 to attend all three. Make each month's worth of night school a "theme" such as "Studio Lighting", or "Outdoor Portraiture" as a couple of examples. The Themes are endless. Pay each speaker $100 and use the profits to fund some outstanding, advanced, speakers for the monthly meetings. You will find that the Masters will start to show up at the meetings!

Another thing that Northern California does is hold a "Night with the Masters". In January, they have a special meeting where they invite all of the Masters all over Northern California to be honored. Generally, about 25 Masters show up each year. Each are introduced to the membership and each receive a special gift for attending. Then a very special program is presented. This year, they had Bambi Cantrell speak. Afterward (and here's the icing on the cake), the print competition is Masters Only. This gives the general membership a taste of what Masters quality work should look like! Every year, this is attended by a packed house.

But wait! There's more! Northern California has set up a scholarship for the Masters! They set aside a Maximum of $1000 per year to send up to two Master Photographers to go to the PPA Judges Workshop! The stipulation is the the recipients must contribute to judging a certain number of times each year, plus help in any print mentoring, as well as participate in "Print Critique" night.

Typically, many of the Masters now come to the general meetings which makes for one heck of a judging pool at print comp after the program speaker.

So, get on the photographic excellence train and see how the quality of membership can soar.

Speaking of train....next stop, Governance.
    Last edited by Michael_Gan; 03-28-2009 at 03:52 PM.

—Michael Gerber

I really glad to see this discussion and will be following it. I'm currently treasurer of a small local affiliate that is dealing with many of these issues. If we don't make some changes soon, we are in danger of becoming extinct. I'm going to bring this to the attention of our board members and some of our past presidents.

I think we need to schedule a meeting to discuss the future of our organization. We never have enough time at our regular board meetings before our meeting to do more than give our reports. We really need to spend a day hashing things out.
    Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot.-Charlie Chaplin

CPF-Certified Picture Framer

http://www.leboutonphotography.com
    http://www.facebook.com/LeBoutonPhotography

Ann, How old is your affiliate?

—Michael Gerber