knitted for my wedding day - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Two things ...

Hi Bonnie;

First off ... I suggest putting © information and your name on images hosted on Photobucket.

As for titles ... I decades ago that titles should be as short as possible. One word titles are great but normally no more than 5 words should be used in a title. The reason for that directly affects your image. Imagine you are a judge. You hear the title announced by the print committee and then the turntable spins around. You are still trying to digest the title and NOW you wonder what the title means and how it relates to the image.

Holly may come up with a super title working in the stockings. But, in the few seconds the panel of judges have it is normally best to go with a title that hits quickly. I will try to draw an analogy: there is an image of a girl with her shoes and socks off and jeans rolled up sitting on the bank of a stream lost in thought at her own private spot. You could call it "Young Girl Sitting On Bank of Stream" OR you could call it "Serenity" or "Solitude". Which do you think would work best in telling the panel what you think your image says to you ?

If you own, or can buy, one of the General Collection or Loan Collection books you can see many terrific uses of titles. When I sit down to title I have #1 Dictionary #2 Billboard Top 40 Hits from 1955 to 1985. #3 Loan Collection books. & #4 The TV Guide and all give me ideas. While in the Loan Collection look for images by Keith and Holly.

and she knit the shawl and knit these tiny little "socks" for the rings and knit this long scarf thing that they did a hand-binding ceremony and she knit socks for all the wedding party and for me she knit some mittens with no fingers so that i could wear them when i was shooting outside on a cold day. sweet. i'll keep thinking on the title. i want it to say that the bride is proud of showing off her legs AND all her hard work. she owns her own yarn dyeing business and is quite successful.

Default I have an idea !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Bonnie;

I have a terrific idea for you. We just had the annual Pa. Farm Show in Harrisburg and they have a thing called "Sheep to Shawl". then I read about her business. My idea ... try to rent some sheep. Create an image of her in a field making a shawl with the sheep grazing in the image. You could title it "Sheep To Shawl" !

ok. i admit i laughed at first when i read your post... think up the title THEN create the image. and while you're at it, rent some sheep in the next week and also get the bride to come back to NC with her wedding gown for a portrait session.
    BUT even though i won't get that accomplished for this year's competition, i'm pretty sure i can get this done for next year. what a fabulous image that could be!!!! if i am able to make it happen, i'll be sure to post the results.
    sheep to shawl. love it.

Default You can ...

Hi Bonnie;

You can come up with many concepts and then work out how to create an image like that. When I read about the dyeing business ... that is what started me thinking. I would not have her in the gown. One other element I didn't mention would be to have a loom in the scene.

Just to get you thinking ... if you knew someone who works in wood using old fashioned tools you could capture the image as they take a plane across the wood as what they planed off comes curling out ... and things they have completed are showing out of focus behind as a backdrop. It is just a matter of keeping a pen & table6 handy for when inspiration hits.

Default special stockings for my special day - handmade

Bonnie,

Nice image and idea to show the special stockings. Have you looked at this image in black & white? With the right adjustments, it could really bring out the stockings, make the shawl less noticeable, and overcome any mixed key issues. I think you should definitely consider a bw version!