knitted for my wedding day

Hybrid View

Default knitted for my wedding day

i'm making my choices for my first competition entry. i appreciate any advice and critique on this image. thanks VERY much for your help. the title is "Knitted for my Wedding Day".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Shawl ...

Hi Bonnie;

it took me a minute for the title to sink in ... the title refers to the knitted shawl.

My big problem is that she is centered in the overall composition. Here is how I see it ... with the subject layer smaller and with her on the 4td quadrant. I hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks! i can fix that her position on the board. yes...she did knit the shawl but it's her hand knitted stockings that i was trying to draw attention to with the title - and with the way she's pulled up her dress. any suggestions on how i could make that more plain? thanks very much for looking. bonnie

4. Default

I was going to say that the first thing I noticed about her is her legs..and then I read your second post where it says she hand knit those stockings as well. I too agree that I would reposition her to be less centered.
    (And as a fellow knitter, I do really love the subject matter!)

nina - as a knitter - any suggestions for the title?

Any chance you could post it larger (hosted on another site like photobucket)? As it is, it is too small to see the detail in the stockings.
    I am a little concerned about the mixed keys in the image and would like to see if there is reason that the dark background helps the image. As for a title, how soon is your comp? Holly is sick at the moment and she is my title guru. We leave for Maine tomarrow evening so it may be a bit before I get her to check it out.
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

this is my first time using photo bucket so my apologies if i mess it up! i understand what you are saying about the "white" bride on the dark background...there wasn't anything to change about that because it was the day of the wedding and the venue was full of beautiful dark wood - but i understand if you think it makes it less than what a competition print should be. so anyway, here is a larger size: http://s710.photobucket.com/albums/ww108/bonber/ thank you very much for your help. bonnie

Now that you have them on Photobucket, you can just click the bottom option under the image to copy the "image code". Then when you are typeing your post you can paste that code into your message and the image will show up in your post.
    As for all the dark wood, yes it does distract. And Yes Judges will take into consideration the venue of the wedding. Burn in the shadows on her hose to give them more texture without making them look muddy. The whole image can be prited down quite a bit darker as they will be judged under bright lights (100 ISO 1 Sec. F16) if you want to set up a similar lighting in your studio to see it similar to a judging. I think this is a good learning image, you definately will not be embarassed to have entered it. The lighting needs more direction and her pose is a little too straight up and down to move it into the merit catagory in my opinion. Imagine if you had just twisted her shoulders a little to camera right, slid her over and let her lean slightly (not so much she gets round shoulders) against the rail and rolled her slightly onto her left hip. She would have gained more of an hour glass figure. Next if the main light was coming in from camera right you would have sculpted her body and shown more detail in the gown, hose, etc. As it is I would see it scoring in the high average to above average catagory. I like the story with the hose but it needs a title that spells it out (which surprise surprise - I don't have any good ones) something about "My Special hand knit stockings "... ok its hokey but you get the idea.
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.