Please Critique

Thread: Please Critique

Default Please Critique

I have been a member for a little over a year and I am working on my CPP. I am starting to look into print competitions to challenge myself. Here are two samples of images that I would consider if I were competing this year. I truly have very little knowledge on competitions but would like to learn more.

Please critique these if you will and help me move into some sort of direction.

I don't really have good titles for them at this point but I will call the first one "Chinese Dancer", the second one "When I Grow Up", and the third is the same image as two without the flag.
    Thank-you in advance.
    Kim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PCKimD; 01-20-2009 at 12:41 AM.

The first image of the girl is a good start you might want to darken down the umbrella to bring more attention to the face darken from the right corner.

the boy with the glove the light is good but the choice of clothing is not good it look at first like it might have been an old uniform but then it looks like a nice dress shirt. it needed more of a story. Make sure the clothing match the subject
    these are a good start i hope to see more of you images.
    Stewart Schulze
    President of Professional Photographers of California
    CPP, M. Photog. Cr., F-PPC, S-PPC

pck,
    the first image is very nice. a hair,background or acent light would have seperated the subject from the backgrouind and inprove the image quite a bit.
    joe

Thank you both so much for your input. I actually did use an accent light on the hair but I agree, I would have liked more separation from the background.

Just out of curiosity...what would the first image score in a competition?

Thank you again.
    Last edited by PCKimD; 01-20-2009 at 02:11 PM.

Default Suggestions

Hi Kim;

It is difficult to see them properly that small. I like to see at the least an image 8" X 6.4". With that said, on the 1st one I see a pretty young lady with a good expression and good lighting. However, in this small size it appears like there is a separation problem with the hair & background. Also, the accent line screaming for attention. On a full rea 20" x 16" I normally use about 5 to 6 pixels at most. I also choose a tone from the image to set off the subject layer while not drawing attention to itself. That means a very slim line ... just enough to be seen.

In addition, in this country we read left to right and that is how the judges view the images. So, if they encounter the main subject / focal point right away it is not nearly as good as if their eyes enter on the left, travel across and encounter what you want them to see. I would flip image #1 horizontally. With the cap that is not feasible on #2 unless you do some work in Photoshop so the letter still ends up looking correct.

Craig...thank-you. That makes sense.

Kim
    I agree with the comments on the first image, I would add that I would suggest a little tighter crop to allow for the flipped image to rotate a bit to give her more of an angle. Tone down her pink outfit a bit as well as it is a dominate color and pulls my eye away from her face. Tone down the umbrella and the design on the umbrella. Agree with the stroke comments. I however feel there is plenty of seperation on my monitor. Too many times I see the hair or accent light that is too strong and draws the eye to that area. You have kept detail in the hair and seperation from the background. You have nice lighting on the subject and a good choice of subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by PCKimD View Post
    Just out of curiosity...what would the first image score in a competition? Thank you again.
    That is very hard to say on such a low res image. There are so many things that play into a real judging, Print quaility is the biggest that we can not see here on a monitor. If it were worked up well, I believe I would be in the above average to deserving of merit.

Baseball boy - Again I agree with the other comments. I would also like to point out that he is broad lit which lessens the impact of the image.

Good Luck
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Keith thank-you so much! I am really glad to hear about the separation. I was a little concerned about that. I think with some adjustments I will prep the first image.

Thanks again.
    Kim

Check out this example from "knitted for my wedding" thread on posting larger images. It will make it so much easier to CC your possible images. Good Luck Keith
    http://www.ppa.com/community/forums/...876#post192876
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Great! Thank-you! Verrrry helpful.