Print Mentoring at IUSA
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Print Mentoring at IUSA

Just a plug for the print mentoring again this year at IUSA. I know it always fills up fast. Most people who participate seem to feel it is helpful. Here is the link to read more about it.

http://www.imagingusa.org:80/print-exhibit.php

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

This is exciting, and was a great experience last year. I think my assistant is interested in signing up - I sent her the link. Thanks for posting this Keith! I would recommend it to all!
    Jackie Haggerty
    M.Photog.Cr., CPP

www.jackiehaggerty.com

I have come to accept the feeling of not knowing where I am going. And I have trained myself to love it. Because it is only when we are suspended in mid-air with no landing in sight, that we force our wings to unravel and alas begin our flight. And as we fly, we still may not know where we are going to. But the miracle is in the unfolding of the wings. You may not know where you're going, but you know that so long as you spread your wings, the winds will carry you.

― C. JoyBell C.

Anybody who doesn't take advantage of this offer is missing out on a GREAT learning experience. Heck, there are members entering a contest to win the opportunity to have their portfolio critiqued by Anne Geddes, while you can have your images critiqued by one of the PPA-PEC International Jurors by just asking. Personally, I'll take a Keith Howe or a Kaye Frey critique over an Anne Geddes critique any day. And all you gotta do is sign up for it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 11-28-2008 at 03:09 AM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

It really is a great learning experience as they walk and talk you through your images, explaining how best to crop and present them. Sometimes they will see "the picture within the picture" that will get you to see a better interpretation of your captures. Because a great image is not merely what you capture, but also what you exclude. I am very much looking forward to bringing some images to Imaging for critique. What a great way to learn. If you are making the trek and have any interest in improving your image making, you should bring some prints for critique. It's one of the most direct things you can do to improve your work, IMO.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

I did this last year and was lucky enough to get Keith as my mentor. I will be doing it again this year. Maybe I will be lucky enough to get Keith again
    Did you miss me?
    Andrea Chapelo, CPP
    www.chapelophotography.com

Totally signing up for it this year. (Only reason I didn't last year was my laptop ended up in Afghanistan) How many prints can we show? Any guidelines around it?
    STEFF (not StePH)

Stephanie Millner Cr.Photog., CPP

main site | destination pets | blog | facebook | fan page

Ah, to live like the Italians... with extremely little to do.
    12.01.09 - Viva la Roma!

Is this mentoring mostly for comp? If so, do they have people that can evaluate competition albums?

- trr

The mentoring is focused around creating winning competition quality images, but when you learn to improve your competition work, the quality of your other work also improves. Since there are a lot of judges qualified to judge wedding albums, I'm sure that there will be someone available who can critique your album for you. Since many jurors have more than one side to their businesses, any PEC qualified juror can give a valid opinion on how to improve an image, even if it is not in an area where they would normally judge.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Thanks for the reminder, Keith!! I got to do this last year and it was remarkable. I will definitely be doing it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Reichman View Post
    Is this mentoring mostly for comp?
    Todd, I thought I read somewhere that you weren't going to IUSA. Did you change your mind?

It is primarily intended to help people with thier potential competition prints but I OFTEN have people who are just wanting some feedback on thier work, they have no intention of entering at this time. That is perfectly acceptable. The end goal of print competion is to raise the standard of professional photography as a whole. So helping someone who is not intending to enter also accomplishs that goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Reichman View Post
    If so, do they have people that can evaluate competition albums?

- trr
    As Rick said any judge can give you valid feedback on a wedding album. However if you want a critique from an approved wedding album judge then just request that at the time you sign up. I am sure Jim Dingwell will do his best to accomodate any requests. FWIW all affliate jurors who want to judge albums just had to resubmit two sample albums in early November for evaluation. There is also a requirment to be a working wedding photographer in order to judge wedding albums.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.