Why Do You or Don't You Compete - Discussion - Page 15
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

I know I am quoting Wendy's points here but she raise good questions and I am trying to elaborate for all and not trying to put Wendy or anyone on the spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by WendysPhotos View Post
    But I also saw a couple that merited that I personally and a couple people with me were going 'What?'. I will also concede that it is all an opinion. Wendy Burk
    Wendy- I am not trying to persecute here but am asking, did you happen to approach any of the judges and ask them why the image scored where it did? (I recomend asking as many judges and or masters at a competition (ask them one at a time to get indiv. opinions instead of a group agreeing with the most outspoken person) ask on any images you have questions on, not just your images).

BUT when there is a 19 point spread between one competition and another. Sorry, not going to spend a couple hundred to see 'IF' this set of judges likes my stuff. Wendy Burk
    If you want to get a more accurate scoring, then enter only affiliated judgings (your regional and the international competitions). I really would be surprised if you recieved an identical score from 2 different judgings because it is an average of 5 jurors scores / opinions but I agree a 19 point spread is much bigger than I would expect and hopefully is pretty rare though I know it happens.

ALSO: If they wanted to improve it. They would provide a written response to why it was tagged where it was. Even if it was a few lines: such as 'possibly a little oversaturated' or 'focal point not defined enough' etc. Just giving me a random number is 'UGH'.
    Wendy Burk
    I know that a number score may seem random to you. If you take a look at the score chart and consider that photographers are entering what they feel is their best work and when you look at the catagory that the score represents it gives you an idea where the image falls in the best of photographers have to enter.
    As for a written suggestion for every image images the man hours for aprox 8-10,000 images. The video critique at the international judging is the best answer at this time (though PEC is always looking at better / affordable options). This is also why at other judgings I recomend seeking out the judges after the judging is over and asking for opinions.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

ALSO: If they wanted to improve it. They would provide a written response to why it was tagged where it was. Even if it was a few lines: such as 'possibly a little oversaturated' or 'focal point not defined enough' etc. Just giving me a random number is 'UGH'.

Thank You
    Wendy Burk
    Wendy, if you are entering a state or regional competition, once judging is over and prints are hung, you can always speak to the judges and get a critique on your images and suggestions for how to improve the image.

For the national (international) competition, you can order an electronic critique that will be returned with your prints.

You can always get feedback on your prints, even if it is from a fellow photographer.

(and I am not a master)