Photographers or graphic artists?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Photographers or graphic artists?

It seems to me that photography has changed into being a graphic photoshop artists job more than what we used to be known as photograhers, anyone agree with that? It seems like I see lots of snapshots made into cool looking images with photoshop, which to me isn't being a real photographer compared to pre digital days. I know PS is a tool that we can use but it seem like it is used more than actual photography skills to create good images.

I just got this facebook message so that's why I was wondering how other people here felt about it. "hey i was wondering if you have a country theme for your senior pics because i like how you take your pictures and how you edit them not to much at all and you cant tell at all and i was wondering what your prices are?"

No.

Just kidding, Tim. Although you'll be surprised to find out that I don't agree with you. I don't think what we do could be considered graphic art at all. We might enhance a photo, but the photo is still the thing. While without doubt some folks are putting a dress on a pig with Photoshop I don't think that colors the entire industry. I believe pretty strongly in giving the best that I can do, and charging accordingly. For me, that means enhancing in Photoshop when appropriate. We do almost no airbrushing to people but we do pop levels and environments to suit. In the film days you had to do the darkroom work, and effective darkroom technique was just as important as the shooting. Now, just because we have more options on the back end I don't think its any less important.

What you should be complaining about isn't Photoshop its digital cameras. If the files straight out of camera looked good enough we wouldn't need PS, right?

What do I know? An un-Shopped image has never left my studio or been seen by anyone but my wife and me, and that'll likely never change.

- trr

So what was it when a photographer shot a roll of Ektachrome, cross processed it, copied the result several times on a Honeywell Repronar, cross processed each of them, sandwiched them together slightly off register, copied that, sandwiched with another shot, copied that, and finally printed the result?

Salvador Dali both painted and made direct lithographs. Was he a painter or a lithographer?
    --Elephants can swim...
    ...and very gracefully.
    Knowing that,
    I do believe
    Anything is possible for me.

Kirk Darling, CPP

Like that remark..."putting a dress on a pig in photoshop" LOL very funny, sad part..its true!

econopix

This is the debate of this era. I've had this debate, sometimes arguments with a lot of my peers. The only common answer to this question is that there is no common answer to this question.

It really depends on what you believe to be "photography". You could categorize photography into traditional or modern methods, but what does that really do for anyone in the business? Regardless of how the image is produced, it's Art nonetheless.

The beauty and value of this art will be determined in the eyes of the person who acquires and appreciates it.

From a collector's standpoint, I'd see more value in Jerry Uelsmann's surreal images than someone who created a similar image using a digital camera and Photoshop, because, to me, it takes a near unattainable mastery of the darkroom to create an Uelsmann piece.

Just my thoughts on a great topic!
    Last edited by econopix; 12-29-2008 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by econopix View Post
    This is the debate of this era. I've had this debate, sometimes arguments with a lot of my peers. The only common answer to this question is that there is no common answer to this question.

It really depends on what you believe to be "photography". !

That's a really good answer. It's not what you really are, more of a photographer or more of a photoshop artist, it's what an individual believes that they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_Galyean View Post
    It seems to me that photography has changed into being a graphic photoshop artists job more than what we used to be known as photograhers, anyone agree with that?

No

It seems like I see lots of snapshots made into cool looking images with photoshop, which to me isn't being a real photographer compared to pre digital days. I know PS is a tool that we can use but it seem like it is used more than actual photography skills to create good images.

There is no one on here that is selling "pre digital days" work.

I just got this facebook message so that's why I was wondering how other people here felt about it. "hey i was wondering if you have a country theme for your senior pics because i like how you take your pictures and how you edit them not to much at all and you cant tell at all and i was wondering what your prices are?"
    Looking at that last sentence, maybe we should be more concerned about the changes in the usage of the language in than what we call our selves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Brown View Post
    Looking at that last sentence, maybe we should be more concerned about the changes in the usage of the language in than what we call our selves.
    The Facebook and teens have a language computer program that they type into and then it comes out like that, kind of artsy, creative type of use of the language. I think Adobe makes it. LOL

“The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work.”
    ~Emile Zola

So lets change this....

The artist is nothing, there is no gift..... it's the idiot-proof light recording device combined with a computer program to produce output.
    Don
    M.Photog., Cr., CPP, D.C.Ph.

www.donchick.com

Default And...

The moment we all start seeing our work as art and not a medium is when the world evolves.
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com