After Convention Trips - Who's going where?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default After Convention Trips - Who's going where?

With the Grand Canyon and other Canyon National Parks within driving distance of Phoenix, I was just curious as to where others are going either before or after the convention. I'm planning on spending the rest of the week in the area (flying out on Sunday), but still haven't finalized my agenda yet - there's lot to see around there - so where are you going ??? What's the best to see in a short amount of time ???

Grand Canyon
    Bryce Canyon
    Zion Nat'l Park
    Monument Valley
    Canyonlands
    Arches
    Slot Canyons
    Petrified Forest
    Painted Desert
    Sedona - Red Rocks
    Anywhere else...
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

We're staying with family in Scottsdale for the week afterward, so we'll be exploring the backyard, patio and pool . I'd love to hear about any outings or get-togethers.

- trr

I'm actually arriving in San Diego on the 5th and spending the first week visiting relatives in CA and AZ. I have one day were I plan to just drive and see where I land. I like to travel with the least scheduled itinerary possible.

That being said, I have shot in Bryce and Zion and they are both breathtaking, but Zion was simply outstanding for shooting opps. There is a beautiful little town nearby where I stayed at a b&b and that was really nice to come home to in the evenings.

gosh, I wish I had more time to hang around the AZ area- looks like we'll stay the 14th somewhere by the Canyon - leaving out the 15th- I have to go visit family in Wa. and then hurry back home to Sicily by the 20th. If it weren't for those darn kids needing me...
    Erin L. Clark, CPP
    E-n-E Photography

I did not yet book a flight, if I am going! Three weeks out, I better get act together. Therefore, IF I DO GO, I'll try to stay a few days, and do travel what I wanted to do before. Maybe Sedona area; maybe one overnight at south rim, or very near. December revenues is not what I wanted!
    George
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

Jerome, AZ
    Flagstaff,
    Sedona
    and then a nice drive back to Northern Minnesota (2,000 miles)

If anyone feels it's a bit too cold to go north from Phoenix, there are a ton of photo ops to the south.

Head towards Tucson and you will find these along the short drive.

1. Pima Indian Reservation
    2. Sonoran desert
    3. Picacho Peak State Park (amazing photogenic mountain and cactus)
    4. Saguaro National Park - this is the famous Saguaro cactus (you know, the ones with the arms) and there are thousands and thousands of them everywhere. A virtual forrest of these cactus.
    5. Tucson (best Mexican food anywhere on the planet)
    6. Old Tucson (western movie set)
    7. Pima Air Museum - Incredible collection and you drive by one of the major grave yards of thousands of planes just getting to the museum.

Drive south from Tucson

1. Tombstone complete with the original boot hill grave yard, the famous OK Corral and the Birdcage theater.

2. Just south of that is Bisbee which is amazing and very historical.

There are so many photo ops in so many areas south of Phoenix it's hard to say what is the best.
    Last edited by Ron_Jackson; 12-20-2008 at 04:08 PM.

I'm thinking of going to drive down to Puerto Pinasco in Mexico for some R&R!
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

We haven't confirmed yet, but we are hoping to spend a few days with Jon and Giselle Wolf in Tucson. Otherwise, I really love the galleries in Scottsdale (wish spring training was going, Giants fan) or Sedona for some Spiritual RR.
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

I'm thinking of pulling my 5th wheel trailer from L.A.. Any suggestions on where to stay?

Tony