Experiences with Photoworkshop.com??
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Experiences with Photoworkshop.com??

I have a trial membership to Photoworkshop.com, which is about to expire. My assignments completed there have not had a chance to be submitted for PPA merit points yet, so I don't know how well this online thing actually works.

Can anyone who has received merit points from Photoworkshop.com let me know? I'm willing to pay the subscription fee, but I just want to make sure that the transfer of merit points actually happens.

(after posting this, I'm not sure that I put it in the right place -- I apologize -- Where should questions regarding merit points go?)
    Betsy Finn, Cr.Photog., CPP
    bphotoart :: learnwithbetsy :: email

Default PPA Merits

Good morning Betsy;

There is only one way to get PPA print merits ... enter the PPA print competition and receive a score of 80 or higher. If someone enters a regional print competition and gets a score of 80 or higher it's automatically a PPA merit as long as they then send it to the national competition. For more information ... go to www.ppa.com and look under print competition for print rules.

If there was a way to get PPA print merits on-line, I doubt if many photographers would pay for prints and pay a print case fee. Please re-check the site you mentioned. Could it be that they have "on-line" merits to give an indication of how an image might do in real competition ? You could also call PPA on Monday and ask. But getting "merits" on a web site and transferring them as PPA print merits is not possible as far as I know. I looked over the site. It looks like PPA supports the site along with many others but it's not exclusively PPA.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP
    floryphotog@mindspring.com

Quote Originally Posted by D. Craig Flory
    There is only one way to get PPA print merits ...
    Craig,

A clarification.
    Photoworkshop.com issues educational merits, like attending an affiliate school or a Super Monday program. Not print merits.
    Educational or service merits can be used to get your Craftsman degree.
    Print merits aren't required for a Craftsman degree.

Betsy- Photoworkshop.com is legit. Merits, if earned, will be issued.

Default My Bad ...

Hi Jack;

I knew it couldn't be print merits. So, they are education merits !

For Betsy ... besides the 12 service - education merits ... if you want to go for Master of Photography, you will need 13 print merits. (and you must also be certified 1st). For Craftsman, you will need 12 teaching merits in addition to the education - service merits.

We both learned something .... thanks Jack (if anyone on here never saw Jack's programs ... he has great programs. He spoke here in Pa. and I loved his images)

floryphotog@mindspring.com

Default Craftsman Degree Requirements

"For Craftsman, you will need 12 teaching merits in addition to the education - service merits."
    floryphotog@mindspring.com[/QUOTE]

Hi Craig,
    One minor correction again, I think. I tried to verify it on the PPA Website before posting; however; though our website shows you the degrees that PPA offers, there are no details on the requirements. You have to refer to your PPA member handbook which I do not have here at my side or call Marissa at 1-800-786-6277 during normal business hours.
    I just recently received my Craftsman Degree in Austin at ImagingUSA 2006. I believe I had to earn a baker's dozen (13) teaching merits in addition to 12 service/education merits.
    As a moderator since January and surfing the forum a few times each week, I want to say "THANKS" for all your posts and information you so freely give.
    Constance Rawlins, PPA Certified, Cr. Photog.
    McComb, MS
    crawlins@cableone.net

LOL, I was wondering what you look like, Constance
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

Default Bravo...

Yes, I agree. Such good info on these posts; there is such a strong sharing.
    Thanks all.

Please tell me the difference between a moderator, senior member, member, new member, etc.

George Hawkins PPA Certified, Cr. Photog.

Thanks for all the input. I'll get on renewing my membership (I had the free trial which recently expired). Are there specific criteria that you have to meet in order to receive merit points, or if you submit a decent image are you pretty likely to qualify? Anyone know?

-----

Quote Originally Posted by geohawkins
    Please tell me the difference between a moderator, senior member, member, new member, etc.
    From what I can tell, it's based on the number of posts you have made as a member -- a new member is someone who has made less than 30 posts, a memeber is someone who has made 30-99 posts, and a senior member is someone who has made 100 or more posts. I was curious about this too, which prompted me to research member status in comparison to the number of posts made. Because I've been technically a member since August 2005, I knew it couldn't be based on the length of time you've been a member. As for a moderator, I'm not sure of their specific capabilities, but typically a moderator has the ability to edit/moderate online forums -- so it is probably along those lines.
    Betsy Finn, Cr.Photog., CPP
    bphotoart :: learnwithbetsy :: email

Hi George,

Moderators are the volunteer "police" in this forum so that things don't get too out of hand.

New Members are you.

Members are those that have posted a certain number on this forum - I'm guessing 50 posts.

Senior members are those of us with no business and lots of time on our hands

Michael
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

Default Thank you Constance

Hi Constance;

I must be getting old. Since I too just got my Craftsman, I knew exactly how many I had needed but typed the wrong amount. Thanks for pointing out my blunder.

Craig