Missing Loan Print?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Missing Loan Print?

This was my first year competing and having a print go Loan, so I'm not sure if this is a stupid question; bear with me. I received my print case back from last year's competition, and all the prints were in it, but the Loan print. Does PPA keep that for future displays? Or is still touring? Or am I to assume it was lost?
    Thanks for any insight
    Heather
    Heather Michelle Bjoershol
    Corel Painter Master
    Heather The Painter
    Formerly Etherielle, Visions Interpreted
    www.heatherthepainter.com
    heather@heatherthepainter.com

YOUR GREATEST ADVANTAGE!

Offering Wholesale Digital Art Services to Studios Including Award Winning Digital Painting, Retouching, and Design.

Thumbs up Loan Prints

Hi Heather,
    Great to see a question from a new friend and portrait artist. Buddy Stewart will have a more thorough reply but he will be assisting with SWPPA this week and SEPPA the next. Congratulations on your loan print!
    Loan prints are kept by PPA and are displayed in PPA's traveling loan collection for quite some time. Sometimes they are eventually returned, sometimes they are kept permanently and displayed in the PPA office in Atlanta, Ga.
    I would get another print printed for your own display purposes and disply your award with the image.
    Keep up the Great Work!
    Constance Rawlins, Cr., CPP
    McComb, MS
    crawlins@cableone.net

I know the 2006 rules now actually say's that the loan print will be kept.
    I wonder if we at least get the "loan" gold corner back with your case?
    Mr. Stewart?
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

The loan prints used to always be kept. Sounds like they're reviving the old rule. You do get the corner back with your case.

Michael
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

Default If you are REALLY confident ...

There is a photographer I know, and also studied with who always ordered three of each competition print. The 2nd one was in case one got damaged. The 3rd was for when it went into the Loan Collection !!! (another reason is if your state competition, or a regional, is close to when the PPA competition occurs. You would not have to worry about your other print case getting back in time. Yes ... I do own two print cases )You have to be really good and have lots of confidence to order 3 of every image. I own a bunch of books by him and he was really good. I have no idea where he is, or what happened to him. But if anyone ever sees a seminar with Jerry Pokorny ... sign up right away !!! And if anyone does know his whereabouts, his friends in the PPAofPa would like to know.

Does anyone else order even two, of each competition print, for when it goes "Loan" ?

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP
    floryphotog@mindspring.com

Default Ahhhhh multiple images...

Hey Craig,

I'm thinking that I probably spent close to $2k already on multple copies/reprints and re-do's since I started print competition 18 months ago.

I guess I should be a little happy since I got 3/4 this year 88/86/80 at western states and hopefully 4/4 at internationals if I pick the right one to send in place of the non-merit one.

Anyway's, I think that having 2 printed at the same time is a good idea. I've dropped a print the same day of the local competition. Good thing about local is that there is some form of forgiveness for dinged corners.

Also, I might have read something about Jerry Pokorny in the past. Was he the guy that had a print called "mother nature" where a naked woman was blended on a landscape?
    marcbenjamin.com

Ohhh. Okay. I didn't realize the PPA keeps the print. Competition prints are pricey, but in the end, worth it.
    Thanks!
    Heather
    Heather Michelle Bjoershol
    Corel Painter Master
    Heather The Painter
    Formerly Etherielle, Visions Interpreted
    www.heatherthepainter.com
    heather@heatherthepainter.com

YOUR GREATEST ADVANTAGE!

Offering Wholesale Digital Art Services to Studios Including Award Winning Digital Painting, Retouching, and Design.

Default Don't have to be pricey ...

If you prepare, fully, your images for competition in Photoshop, they don't have to cost a lot. My lab charges less than $20.00 for a 16X20. I also pay for the gator foam mounting and then spray it with high gloss spray in my spray booth. Long gone are the days I paid for a "competition print" to my lab. I get it ready in Photoshop and send it vis ftp over DSL and pay ftp pricing.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP
    floryphotog@mindspring.com

Even if you DO have your lab do the digital artwork, you can have them write it to cd for you for future printing. The expensive part will be done and you'll just have the cost of the reprint.

Default Print competition cost.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Craig Flory
    If you prepare, fully, your images for competition in Photoshop, they don't have to cost a lot. My lab charges less than $20.00 for a 16X20. I also pay for the gator foam mounting and then spray it with high gloss spray in my spray booth.
    Hey Craig,

Yep, I've been on that routine from the very beginning. Let's see, the price for print/black gator foam mount/double spray/shipping/tax is about $55. I think that I've already had about 30 comp prints made. Plus I have a true 20x24 PPA (w/Logo) print comp case (do these still even exist), adding entry fees to state and international and postage+ return postage. Hmmm, come to think of it I'm probably over 2K.

This year, now that I'm a little better, I’m probably only gonna make 12-14 comp prints a year. I think that my print competition budget is at 1K (14 x 55 + shipping and entry fees)

Pricey but I'm not complaining...
    marcbenjamin.com