Newbie question about becoming certified?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Newbie question about becoming certified?

How do you become a PPA certified photographer? I just joined PPA a few months ago and remember reading in the information packet somewhere that I'd have to wait 2 years and then take a test, which also includes a sample of 20 images I've created in the recent 24 months. I've lost my packet and was wondering if you guys could answer a few questions for me.
    1. Do I really have to wait 2 years? I'm ok with that, just wondering if I have the correct info.
    2. How do I go about taking the test? It seems there are many, is this something you study for or is it just stuff that a professional photographer should know? I'm curious because there's so much to learn and so many different types of photography, just wondering how broad it is.

Thank you for your help and feel free to share any more relevant information regarding becoming certified.
    Barb

David_Mithofer

Default RE: Newbie questions on becoming Certified

In answer to your first question, you do not have to wait two years to become certified. You can start working on your certification at any time.

Your second question was about the exam. The written exam is 100 questions and is very broad based. We do recommend that photographers study using at least the reference guide Photography 8th edition by London and Upton. You should also refer to the test specifications (the study guide) and the sample questions found at www.certifiedphotographer.com. This website also has the application for the program and image submission forms.

I hope this information is helpful.

Regards,
    David Mithofer

Question CPP Exam

Barb,
    David has already answered your questions and is an employee hired by PPA as the CPP Liason.
    I, actually, now have a question for David.
    I attended the ImagingUSA 2006 leadership meeting in Austin. We were informed that PPA has now turned the CPP examination over to a private certification organization. Does that mean that the CPP Exam will no longer be available at our state conventions as it has been in the past?
    Constance Rawlins, PPA Certified, Cr. Photog.
    McComb, MS
    crawlins@cableone.net

Quote Originally Posted by Constance Rawlins
    We were informed that PPA has now turned the CPP examination over to a private certification organization. Does that mean that the CPP Exam will no longer be available at our state conventions as it has been in the past?
    Constance,

The private certification organization, now the Certification Commission, is under the PPA umbrella structure. It was taken out of PPA's direct association as a result of the specifications and recommendations of NOCA (The National Organization for Competency Assurance).
    These are the same people that oversee Accountants and other professions getting certified. Our certification now "demonstrates compliance with each accreditation standard" set forth by this accrediting organization.
    It adds a lot of weight to certification, rather than have it a PPA in-house thing. PPA owns the commission, but it's now at "arm's length".

That's the long answer.

The short answer is "Yes".

You can give the exams at your state convention. For all practical purpose, you shouldn't see any change as someone taking the exam. Other than following the rules for administrating the exam will be a little more strict, but nothing outrageous or that different. It just wouldn't be allowed to be "loosey goosey".

Hope that helps.

Default Used "Photogography 8th Ed" books

Quote Originally Posted by dmithofer
    We do recommend that photographers study using at least the reference guide Photography 8th edition by London and Upton. You should also refer to the test specifications (the study guide) and the sample questions found at www.certifiedphotographer.com.
    As someone who would love to study for and take this test, but had a bit of sticker shock at the cost of this book, I'd like to know if there is any repository of these books used. Or if anyone out there would like to sell me theirs. I imagine it's a book that people hold onto, but just in case....
    Blog, Facebook
    Dublin, Ohio

Default certification

At the state level when we administered an exam, we never scored it; the exams had to be sent back to PPA office for scoring. I was the liaison in NHPPA in late 80's, and maybe I can ask around for used books. However, newer books must be far more useful with I assume today's technology included. Check with one's library in home town. The program is worth the time & effort; I have maintained my CPP status, and use it on business cards, etc.

Deleted

I just got a letter from the Certified PPA folks that stated I passed the test !!! :-) I took it in Dayton on March 3rd during the Mid East Regional. Ok, I barely squeeked by, but I passed :-)

Congratulations, John!!!

Now take that sucker and relearn what you missed.

oh, ya, that's good of me to say, I haven't even taken the test yet.

Deleted

Heh, yeah ... if I knew what I missed ... you don't get the test back. I know I missed stuff on large format cameras, which I hate to say, but have little to no interest in brushing up on. Except for the fact that if I were to ever shoot architecture with a PC camera/lens, it might come in handy.

Congrats John! I was at the MidEast States Convention last week as well. I received my Ohio CPP on Friday of the convention. The first of many accomplishments ( I hope), now that I have dove into the degree arena. I would also be interested in purchasing the book used if anyone has one. The PPA CPP is now my next goal, since my Masters is a few years away.

Michelle