Kinda freaking out now!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Kinda freaking out now!

I really didn't think I was going to get anyone signing up for my Super Monday course and low and behold, I now have 6 people signed up....Yikes. I don't know what I was thinking. Guess I had better start working on a course. This is not something I have ever done and now I am wondering what I was thinking.

Any suggestions? I am so far behind in work right now on top of it.

My Super Monday is for beginning studios and the beginning photographer.

I plan on doing a survey here tonight and sending out to everyone to see where they stand, but that is the only idea I have....

Help?

Tiff

On a side note though...I just got back, 'bout a half hour ago from our Fall state convention where I entered prints for the first time and was amazed at the results.

78, 80, 82 and 84 and got a 78 and an 80 on my senior folios. Guess that makes me feel a little more confident.

Tiff

Hi Tiffany; I know how you feel. I also have more signed up than I thought. I sat down and wrote out a sylabus the other morning, and yesterday when I got my roster I emailed it to everyone. But I'm a bit nervous, this is my first class!

If your class is for beginners, I would start with the basics: a basic shooting/posing/lighting session. You could go over how to measure light, what kind of light to use, different kinds of poses, how to use aperture to control depth of field, that kind of stuff. Then you could do a segment on studio operations and pricing.

After I got my sylabus written out, I wrote out a sheet of info I'm going to hand to them. It has resources on it. My class is on wedding workflow, we are going out in the morning on a shoot. I have a model, we are going to be doing off camera lighting, reflectors. Then in the studio I am going to take them through my workflow, with everything projected. So my resources sheet will have all the equipment and software listed, plus places to get actions and presets, plus it also has PPA info, and info about forums. I remember getting a resource sheet from someone years ago that I took a class from and it was very helpful, so I did one too!

Karen Linsley, Cr.Photog., CPP
    www.imageangels.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#/ImageAngel...graphyServices
    Now Blogging! http://imageangels.com/blog/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/imageangel

Oh my gosh, thanks Karen. That does help. Now can you send me more time???? I fear this will take me longer than it should to get ready.

I just hope that I can help these people that are coming to see me as much as other speakers have helped me! OH the pressure.

Tiff

I don't understand why you would sign up to present a program that you had not yet written ???
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Don't you have to know what program you are doing before it can even be offered? What does it say you will be teaching?
    Lori Clapp
    www.amomentintime2.com
    Will I EVER know how to use what I learn?

Relax and take a deep breath Tiffany. Congrats on your comp prints. Look, your opening up your studio for people to see and your available to answer their questions for eight hours. That's over an hour per person. What would you charge a client for an hour of your time? Your a volunteer not a paid speaker, PPA members who attend get a merit to boot. So for a hundred bucks these folks get to look inside your operation, pick your brain for EIGHT hours, network with five other photographers and they get a merit. If they think thats not worth it.............good luck to them ever feeling they got their moneys worth for anything. It cracks me up to hear people who want to charge a thousand dollars an hour to their clients complain about donating a hundred bucks to PPA for all they get in return on Super Monday. It's on Mondays because a lot of studios are closed on Monday anyway and PPA knew that would be the best day of the week to avoid lost income. Their hundred bucks, their milage and their meals are all a tax write off. Only your business clients get to write of a session fee. If you honestly feel guilty about ONLY donating your time, blocking off your own schedule you could have booked and letting six other photographers poke around your business then do a PR headshot for each of them and buy them a pizza for lunch. Sad thing is some of them actually think it's worth three times that much to put in the pocket of someone who stands in a Marriot with a script and shows them only what they want them to see, telling them only what they want them to hear and loading them up with other junk to buy when they leave. Go figure
    Last edited by David_A._Lottes; 10-22-2008 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David_A._Lottes View Post
    PPA members who attend get a merit to boot. So for a hundred bucks these folks get to look inside your operation, pick your brain for EIGHT hours, network with five other photographers and they get a merit. If they think thats not worth it.............good luck to them ever feeling they got their moneys worth for anything.:
    David you make some really valid points, but I think you are leaving some stuff out of your scenario. Those attendees are not just paying $100. And to suggest that the speaker doesn't owe them much because they are just volunteering, that's not quite how I see it. The attendees are investing a day in thier life. How much is a day in your life worth? And what would you expect to get in return if you invest that day? The speaker is being paid just not in dollars. They are getting paid in the faith of those attendees, faith that what the speaker has to say is worth 8 hours of time. I think if you sign up to offer a Super Monday or any program, you have an obligation to do a thorough job, to be prepared and to have something worthwhile to share. That's just being ethical. Just letting people spend 8 hours in your studio asking questions is not enough. By signing up as an instructor you are accepting the responsibilty of trading something valuable for a day out of people's lives. If you can't provide that value then don't sign up for the job. (Tiffany, I am not speaking to you - just talking generally.)

Quote Originally Posted by David_A._Lottes View Post
    Sad thing is some of them actually think it's worth three times that much to put in the pocket of someone who stands in a Marriot with a script and shows them only what they want them to see, telling them only what they want them to hear and loading them up with other junk to buy when they leave. Go figure
    I will be the first to say I don't like speakers who talk the talk without being able to walk the walk, but I think this speaker trashing thing is getting old. When I give a full day program I will miss at least 3 days (two days travel and one day there) I could be the studio. So say I did 3 seniors each of those 3 days which would be pretty normal in the summer and early fall. 9x$1300( my average) = $11,700 income I would potentially lose. I get $1000 for a full day program. The real names in this business get more. I don't have anything to sell, but if I did do you think I could sell $10,000 worth of books or Cd's or DVD's or whatever? Could you fault me for trying considering what I gave up to be there? Everybody complains about speakers selling stuff but nobody talks about how much business they lost to take the time to be at the event. If you don't like it, then don't buy it - simple as that. I never saw a speaker hold a gun to anyone's head and make them buy stuff. Maybe that speaker your referenced at the Marriott does get paid a big fee. But thier greater experience (as opposed to a first time speaker) makes what they have to say carry a lot more weight and be worth more investment. I have to pay a lot more for an experienced pro in any occupation then I do for a beginner. I would much rather hear a program on say how to market family portraits from someone who has a proven track record, then from someone who has been in business just a year or two. There are a few self serving money hungry speakers out there, but I think the way speakers are getting condemed lately is just as distatsteful as any other predjudice. Don't pass judgement on them all based on the poor choices of a very few.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

I can't disagree with you Keith but I could flip the top and bottom. Super Monday instructors give up a day of their lives don't they? I'm as tired of Super Monday bashing as you are of speaker bashing. It wasn't that long ago that most photographers wouldn't even tell you where they had their printing done much less open their doors for a day. As for volunteers still having a responsibility to others I agree, Mother Theresa was a volunteer and I'm sure she took some guff from some lepers once in a while. Doesn't mean she should have quit volunteering.

Congratulations on those scores, Tiffany! 4 outta 6 are 80 and above? Awesome job!

And I'm totally in your boat. My program WAS written (kinda)... then I decided I hated it and am starting over from scratch.
    STEFF (not StePH)

Stephanie Millner Cr.Photog., CPP

main site | destination pets | blog | facebook | fan page

Ah, to live like the Italians... with extremely little to do.
    12.01.09 - Viva la Roma!