Slot Canyons in Arizona
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Convention Side Trip Planning - Slot Canyons in Arizona

Can anyone make a recommendation as to which slot canyon is the best photographically? I was thinking about doing a slot canyon tour while I am in Arizona, and would like some guidance as to which one to take. I have heard of Antelope Canyon, but am not sure if it is the best one. Any recommendations from some of the local Arizona residents or those who have been there before ???
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 11-17-2008 at 03:52 AM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

2. Default

. . . . . . . . . .
    Last edited by margiemastrangelo; 09-12-2013 at 12:09 AM.
    Margie Mastrangelo

There are many canyons to photograph, the most famous is Antelope Canyon, in N. Arizona, near Page, and Lake Powell.....Amazing area to photograph.

Tours are out of Page, MUST take tour to get into Antelope Canyon, since it is on the Navajo Reservation....the operators all have 'photo tours' as well....google them....I know Chief Tsosie Tours (I have brought folks to them), but the key is season and time of day (high noon is best)....

Also in the area, is Glen Canyon Dam, Colorado River float trips, Lees Ferry and paria canyon, Horseshoe Bend (ver good for photogs), etc....

Shoot me an email, I can show you a couple pics of Horseshoe Bend and 'togs out there....

Garrett
    garrett@garrettdauphars.com

Default Convention aftertrip planning

I've been doing a good bit of research regarding side-trips after the convention and just got a real eye opener - the average temperature for the Grand Canyon area in January is around 35 F. The average high is around 41 with the average low being about 24F. Just some planning information for the rest of you - dress warmly, cause it's gonna be a bit on the cool side... Brrrrr !!!
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Rick,
    Those temps are lower than I was remembering! My notes are not with me: Flagstaff is much higher elevation than Phoenix, and GC Rim is much higher again! Elevations greatly affect temps.

Here's an interesting story, I came across, and saved as PDF.
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

I was driving thru snow showers in VA yesterday, and this morning we have heavy frost. Sounds like it will not be much of a change, maybe warmer !
    I'm coming anyway!
    tony P

The Grand Canyon, and many of the other Canyon areas in Utah, Bryce and such are at a high elevation overall, so although it looks so much like desert land in the area, that elevation does effect the temperature more then one would think.
    Craig Willes

My brother was a ranger around the Lake Powell area last year and he said that area is a fantastic place to go - Antelope Canyon.

I've been thinking about a day trip, too. Not 100% sure, but would love to find out who else may be considering it too.
    Keely Deuschle, Cr.Photog, CPP
    Orange Park, FL
    President, Jacksonville Professional Photographers Guild

Well, my research is not in my head, but Grand Canyon is maybe 4 hour drive from Phoenix. Ideally, I'd like to follow suggestion of friends and stay overnight within GC Park (there are rooms under $100) to view and photograph at sunset and sunrise.
    That's 5:30 pm and 7:30 am. Local times. I had been thinking of going a few days early - trying to coordinate a visit to relatives near Sarasota over 12/31, and then fly to Pheonix. However, that's running in to glitches, so I may stay in AZ a few days after.

I have more info and articles saved as PDFs.
    Last edited by George_Hawkins; 12-05-2008 at 01:45 AM.
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

I have the 14th to visit the Grand Canyon-and flying out that night. Is it really 4 hours away? Should I just hire a plane since it's a must see?
    Erin L. Clark, CPP
    E-n-E Photography