PPANE Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PPANE Results

Default PPANE Results

I been on the phone with Jeff. I know you guys know. So start posting
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Ok, I'll be the sacrificial lamb to go first. I decided that I really need to focus on using client work in print comp. Sadly, with the new studio, I have not had the time to actually work up any images and really prepare in any real way at all for our regional. Nevertheless, I just couldn't bring myself to bypass my regional, so I spent a full two hours last Tuesday night creating 4 comp images. When I was done, I said to the people to whom I showed the images "it is a case of 77s." I couldn't have called it better. 76,77,77,78

I submitted 3 seniors and a pitcher of tulips that my wife begged me to enter. I am not the least bit displeased with the results. Would it have been nice to get cheap blue? Yes. But I didn't expect to and I am not disappointed. I think my images got the scores they deserved. When the prints showed up, I looked at them and thought "what were you thinking?" on a couple of them. With better treatment, I might have snuck two of them into the merit category, but they would have been squeaking over the bar. I fully expect to have a much more serious entry for NH in the spring.

I saw my first 100 awarded in person today. That was pretty interesting. I'll be honest. I thought it looked better through the binoculars than it did up close. I really think 90 would have been a more appropriate score, but I did love the print and especially the paper it was printed on. I will let Jeff toot his own horn, and Carolle as well. But yay them. There were some really awesome and inspiring prints that I am sure will be in the loan collection next year. But some others that I thought the panel got carried away with, awarding scores that I cannot reconcile. All in all it was a very good competition.

Ok, here are my entries.

Molly's Pitcher 77

The Sky's the Limit 77

Ya think? 78

On High 76

These last two I think I could have coaxed additional points with better treatment.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

3. Default

I like'em Mark ... sure would like to know the things that held them back specifically, but also agree with the scores. I am still very much in the dark when it comes to 76-83 range. Sometimes I think I know why and other times I shake my head thinking I'll never understand all this LOL :-)
    John Heckler, M.Photog, CPP

Avatar compliments of Laura Laine Photography

I was only in the room for the last one, and there was no discussion. Looking at it now, I think this is a perfect candidate to be flipped, and her chest needs to be toned down. Additionally, I should have looked for an exposure with a more somber expression. On the high key image, it would have benefited from a key line and I probably should have removed the mole on her neck, and touched up the reflections in her glasses and made sure I retained some texture in her forehead and cheek.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Kudos to you Mark for even sending something in. I didn't even get that far. And totally forgot PPANE was this weekend until I looked at my calendar...I had scheduled sessions anyway. But the weekend was a washout and instead I got all caught up on work!

I do like 'On High' and I agree the expression doesn't really match the mood/toning of the image. A serious look would be more appropriate, I think.
    Cassandra Sullivan, CPP
    Massachusetts CPP Liason

Cassandra's Photography
    Here & There - The Blog
    "If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse."

I need to locate the images on the other computer, but for now I can tell you the numbers...

4-4: 80, 81, 81, 86
    Don
    M.Photog., Cr., CPP, D.C.Ph.

www.donchick.com

Quote Originally Posted by Don Chick View Post
    4-4: 80, 81, 81, 86
    Okay, so the big question, Mr. Chick... are you a gambler??? Do you send four seals to Nationals next year knowing you'll go 4-4... or do you create something else brilliant between now and then and send non-sealed images to Nationals? mwahahahahahahahaha

Oh, and great job, by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Heather L. Smith View Post
    Okay, so the big question, Mr. Chick... are you a gambler??? Do you send four seals to Nationals next year knowing you'll go 4-4... or do you create something else brilliant between now and then and send non-sealed images to Nationals? mwahahahahahahahaha

Oh, and great job, by the way!
    Four Birds in the hand beats none in the bush. Congratulations, Don on an (At Least) a Bronze PTY for 2010 - and you know at least one will go Loan !!
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Levesque View Post
    I saw my first 100 awarded in person today. That was pretty interesting. I'll be honest. I thought it looked better through the binoculars than it did up close. I really think 90 would have been a more appropriate score, but I did love the print and especially the paper it was printed on. . . . But some others that I thought the panel got carried away with, awarding scores that I cannot reconcile. All in all it was a very good competition.

Mark, There are always going to be prints that you do not understand the scores. How long have you been entering? Two years? Or is it three? Give yourself time. Judging is not a skill you aquire in 2 or 3 years. If you want to better understand why prints score where they do, I suggest you take the judging class. I think you would find it eye opening.

Congratulations for entering. I think you have set a good precedent for yourself. If you skip a year because you are busy or don't like your entries or whatever, then it gets easier to skip the next year and the next year. Pushing yourself to enter even when you don't feel like it is pushing yourself to keep striving for your best.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHeckler View Post
    I like'em Mark ... sure would like to know the things that held them back specifically, but also agree with the scores. I am still very much in the dark when it comes to 76-83 range. Sometimes I think I know why and other times I shake my head thinking I'll never understand all this LOL :-)
    John, I could probably tell you what held Mark's prints from meriting, but he did not ask for CC. I try never to comment unless the maker asks for suggestions. Like D.Craig will often post stuff and say "enjoy" so I know he does not want any critique. He is just wanting to show stuff. So unless someone says something like comments welcome or asks for suggestions, I don't say anything.

Mark, I am not fishing for you to ok my CC. I know you are working hard to do it on your own and that's fine. I just wanted to bring this up again, if someone wants CC they need to ask for it. Otherwise myself and a lot of others don't comment.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith_A_Howe; 09-15-2008 at 04:14 PM.
    Keith A. Howe