Light Pro Expo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light Pro Expo

Default Light Pro Expo

Anyone been to a Light Pro Expo workshop? I am supposed to go to the one in Captiva, FL in a few weeks and was hoping to get some feedback.
    Thanks,
    Greg
    Greg Haag, CPP

I'm also planning on attending - all my friends have said wonderful things, so I'm hoping for great results... See ya there!
    ---------------------------------------------
    Monica Gardella
    Gardella Photography
    www.gardellaphotography.com

Default Thanks

Monica,
    Thanks, I am glad to hear positive things on this.
    Greg
    Greg Haag, CPP

AMAZING!!!

Simply put one of the best things you can go to if your into lighting, especially studio, in today's market.

For the price you get a steal of a full week from sun up to sun down education be it sunrise shooting or sunset shooting breakouts and a shooting lab all day long with some of the best people in the business there waiting to be your lighting coach. You really get in and get your hands wet with lighting using all of the tools one normally would with live models, backdrops from Denny's and other companies.

Seriously it is an amazing event.

The only thing I can see being upset about is not wanting it to be over and having to wait till next year to go again! As with anything else if you are hungry for education you will get it, if you just show up and not get involved you wont get much out of it. The education options are there it is up to you to take advantage of them.

Ask Don Chick about it, he was one of the Coaches for lighting and truly taught me enough for the price of admission and much much more!

Between Don and Kevin Jordan I learned more in that week than I have at any other educational event I have ever attended in my entire life.
    Last edited by Mike_Fulton; 09-04-2008 at 04:27 AM.
    Mike Fulton, Putting this after his name to make people happy
    Weddings {} Blog {} Wireless Flash Workshops/Products {} Seniors

its very cliquey. i didnt care for it.

Default Thanks

Mike,
    Thanks, for such encouraging words. I was looking for to going if nothing else for the time I will get with my daughter (she is attending the class with me), but it makes it so much more enjoyable if the workshop is great. Based upon your experience would you bring the camera you shoot with in the studio (I shoot medium format, normally tethered) or would you bring something different?
    Thanks again,
    Greg
    Greg Haag, CPP

In the shooting lab they have usually 10 stations fully set up with lights, drops and a list of models you get to shoot.

There are pocket wizards with a light meter set up at each station, you simply put the PW on your camera and shoot away with a coach beside you leading you every step of the way. Of course you keep the film or media card as yours to keep.

So if that is what your going for sure I would bring your medium format and use it in the shooting bay.

If your interested in going outside and shooting at the sunrise and sunset shoots or there is a photo contest throughout the event which has LOTS of prizes at the end of the event, so you can shoot anywhere and anytime with the models not just what is on the schedule. The location you pretty much are the only people at this location at the end of the island so honestly you can do just about anything you want. That is where I was saying the education is there its just up to you to get a positive or negative out of it. So I would bring whatever you want to shoot with and in whatever format your comfortable with or if you want to challenge yourself bring something your not used to and challenge yourself or your daughter.

I think this laid back experience with lots of partying and gathering in the evening would be a perfect situation for you to bring your daughter and learn together. There is a little bit for everyone and remember people there who are not teaching officially are willing to teach on the side as well. I know last year I was asked to teach a couple who was having problems with wireless flash, by the end of the "teaching lesson" I had 30 students and we went outside and shot for a couple of hours.

Its just fun for me, learning from amazing artists who are so much better in areas I am not that good in (such as Don Chick teaching me studio lighting) and sharing with everyone on the same level.
    Mike Fulton, Putting this after his name to make people happy
    Weddings {} Blog {} Wireless Flash Workshops/Products {} Seniors

Default Thanks

Mike,
    Thanks for all the information, you have been a big help.
    Greg
    Greg Haag, CPP

Christina,
    Sorry to hear you did not have a good experience. I am sure that was diappointing.
    Greg
    Greg Haag, CPP

Greg, I will be there. It will be my first time attending, so I don't have any advice, but I am definitely excited and looking forward to it!