NOT going to Phoenix!!

Hybrid View

Unhappy NOT going to Phoenix!!

For the second year in a row we can't go to IUSA. Once again our local wedding show (the one where we book 25-40% of our business) is happening over the same weekend!?!?!? This is so disappointing. We started our careers at Imaging USA, attending for the first time before we even owned a camera. It was like going back to our roots every year and understanding how far we'd come and how far we had to go.

It seemed like in year's past IUSA was later in January. Oh well. Unfortunately that means WPPI is getting my convention money this year. Its a bummer, WPPI is a great convention (and WAY more wedding oriented) but I like for my money to go to supporting PPA.

Now I have to suffer through another January knowing that everyone else is having the fun and all my OurPPA cohorts will be living it up and having great stories to tell while I'll be back home.

Curses, foiled again!!!

- trr
    REICHMAN
    www.reichmanphotography.com

www.amantofish.com
    - Meaning, purpose and profit for photographers -

SEXY BUSINESS WORKSHOP
    Three days to a rock-solid business plan, an effective and profitable pricing structure and a mouth-wateringly compelling brand

Your not the only one! Last year was my first convention, and I sooo wanted to go this year, but I can't either.

Angela
    Angela Lawson CPP
    Michigan CPP Liason
    AGL Photography
    Where Life + Art = Memories Forever
    http://www.aglphotography.net

Aww... you guys will be missed! I always wondered about that, too... a lot of bridal shows happen that time of year. We miss out on one of our area's biggest ones, but I think it's worth it. There are other shows we can go to to, I guess!
    "If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies..."

Got a call just today from the organizer of our area's largest bridal show that the show has been moved to the weekend she knows I'll be in AZ. Happend to me this past year too. The show was on the same weekend as Imaging. The show is HUGE and I refuse to miss it.... BUT WAIT... I know how life/business changing IUSA is and I wouldn't miss it either! So... I have my Assistant (who is my brother AND a past wedding client) and my Marketing Manager (who is a past wedding client) run my bridal show booth while I'm getting my education at IUSA.

Todd... your past clients are the best folks to talk about how great you are and the best folks to run a booth. Each year I'll call some of my favorite brides and invite them to the bridal show to help run our booth too. They get a free t-shirt and I provide them with a small simple slideshow of their wedding. They love bragging to potential brides about their wedding and it doesn't hurt to have sample pics of them posted on the walls of your booth. PLUS... the potential brides walking in the door are usually aquaintenances or school chums of my past brides and that is an instant... "Well if you trusted them and loved your images... then I got to hire them too".

Soo... call up some past clients... give them a crash course on the top frequently asked questions... put them in charge of your bridal show booth... and GET YOUR BUTT TO IUSA!
    Julie E. Hedges
    JE Hedges Photography
    www.JEHedges.com

I am torn... I could go, but doubt I will.
    -- Kristi

NILMDTS Photographer
    Where do you go, when the stars go blue.

Why not fly in after the show on Sunday night? You'll have a full day of programming on Monday and Tuesday, plus the banquet... oh, and all the cool people to hang out with.

Come on, Todd... you're a creative guy... think outside the bridal show booth

Todd you should post the picture of your bridal show booth so everyone can see how much you and Jaime put into it. Then they would understand why you can't have past clients and your office manager man the booth for you.

It is something to see. Makes my booth seem pathetic. Now my wheels are turning, what can I do to make mine better and stand apart from the crowd.

C

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Reichman View Post
    For the second year in a row we can't go to IUSA. Once again our local wedding show (the one where we book 25-40% of our business) is happening over the same weekend!?!?!? This is so disappointing. We started our careers at Imaging USA, attending for the first time before we even owned a camera. It was like going back to our roots every year and understanding how far we'd come and how far we had to go.

It seemed like in year's past IUSA was later in January. Oh well. Unfortunately that means WPPI is getting my convention money this year. Its a bummer, WPPI is a great convention (and WAY more wedding oriented) but I like for my money to go to supporting PPA.

Now I have to suffer through another January knowing that everyone else is having the fun and all my OurPPA cohorts will be living it up and having great stories to tell while I'll be back home.

Curses, foiled again!!!

- trr
    You should tell us the secret to doing that well at wedding shows.
    Ours are a complete waste of time.

I'd be happy to, Eric - I know some people are down on wedding shows or think they only cater to the lowest-end bride but we booked many 5-figure weddings off of last January's shows. These were shows that also had much less-expensive shooters too, so I wouldn't say it was a budget show or anything.

It has everything to do with establishing a strong and memorable business image and making a statement about who you are and what you do. Beyond that its all building relationships (don't make the first thing out of your mouth, "what's your date?" etc.).

- trr
    REICHMAN
    www.reichmanphotography.com

www.amantofish.com
    - Meaning, purpose and profit for photographers -

SEXY BUSINESS WORKSHOP
    Three days to a rock-solid business plan, an effective and profitable pricing structure and a mouth-wateringly compelling brand