ok-here goes...please help me before Image review
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face ok-here goes...please help me before Image review

I didn't do so well the last time- ok - that's the understatement of the year! I didn't pass the image review- I am convinced it was because I was too chicken to show my work to all of you. Now I know better. Here are my images - rip them apart- let me know what I need to do differently or if they will pass me. I know I am being really optimistic. I have only been at this for 3 years, but I passed the test on the first try 'cause I've been doing this as a passion of mine for forever! I haven't been doing people and that is the difference for me. If I could somehow get my brain to wrap around the concept that light is light no matter what you are shooting but that disconnect is still there.

Anyway, here is the link- and I thank you in advance for your help, your criticism and your support.

http://www.chamberstudio.com/cpp/index.htm
    Last edited by GeorgeannChambers; 07-16-2008 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Link change
    Quality is like buying Oats. If you want nice clean Oats, you must pay a fair price. However if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse...
    That comes a lot cheaper

My favorites are #10, 12, & 18.

I don't like the high key blouse on a low key image on #9

I do like the colors and placement on #15, but the subjects are off center, and try and brighten the shadows on the faces.

I don't like the veil on #17, very distracting. I think the rest of the image is out of focus.

The clothing on #19 is not dark enough. Make the blacks "good and black!"

Good luck to you!
    Alan Harwell, CPP
    I'm so outside of the box, I can't see the walls.
    www.dsportraits.com

I'm going through the same process right now, so I don't have any great advice, but I did want to reply and wish you luck!

Just wanted to let you know I looked at your images. I am no expert in this process, so I can't really offer any help, but good luck to you!

Hi Georgeann; I didn't pass on my first try either; don't get discouraged, just hang in there.

I like 1, 10,12, 14, 15, 20, 21 and 24.

2 has something in the lower right corner distracting from the rest of the image; three, well, there's just nothing going on there, same with 4. Five is adorable, but the color of her dress vs the rocks distracts me, and her little arms up in the air are also distracting. If you have any others of this same session, try the image in black and white. not sure what is bothering me about 6, I think the baby's head is too big, perhaps some lens distortion? seven is a nice character study, but i don't think it will fly for cert, there are too many distractions in the image. 8 is great for the couple, it has a nice mood, but again I don't think it is appropriate for cert. 11 could work with some retouching. I absolutely LOVE 12. 13 looks like there is no detail in her hair on camera right. 16: I don't know, maybe someone else should critique this one, it's just not doing anything for me and I'm not sure why. Yep, veil is distracting on 17. 18 looks like a fun shapshot, 19 has some wayward shadows on faces, but 20 and 21 look great. Can't comment on 22 because I don't know what that is, and 23 is lovely, but the white towel is distracting. If you could do something with that... And 24 works for me, although the judges might not like the hand of the boy on camera right.

I hope this helps.

Alan is right about 9: the white blouse with the black background kills it.

Karen Linsley, Cr.Photog., CPP
    www.imageangels.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#/ImageAngel...graphyServices
    Now Blogging! http://imageangels.com/blog/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/imageangel

Good luck Georgeann- I'm gathering mine for the next submission as well. :0)

Anne and Erin,
    Thanks for the good wishes and I send them right back to you as well! I wish you all the best in your process.
    Quality is like buying Oats. If you want nice clean Oats, you must pay a fair price. However if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse...
    That comes a lot cheaper

Karen and Alan,
    Thank you for your input - I will go back and revisit these images and see what I can do differently.
    Thank you all for your help.
    That comes a lot cheaper

You have several images with structural verticals in them that are tilted...doorways, glasses, etc.. They need fixin'.

Thanks Everyone for your input.
    I have made some changes and have uploaded some new images as well as reworked some of the original choices. the link has changed so here is the new link. and thanks again for your help.

http://www.chamberstudio.com/cpp/index.htm
    That comes a lot cheaper