Imaging 2009 Phoenix - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hey I'm local to phoenix. Lots of cool places. Was there are question directed to the AzPPA group? If so let me know.

Also, there are a few flickr groups the might be a better resource for asking or lurnking to find cool stuff:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/azwonders
    is the biggest main group.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/azstrobists/ is a good one too.

Also feel free to add me on flickr. If you're not on you should be:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acmephoto
    Adam Nollmeyer
    Phoenix AZ

Yes, I've won a bunch of awards, do you really want me to tell you about all of them here? Go look at the piksurez!

http://acmephotography.net
    http://acmephotography.net/stalk-me
    http://twitter.com/AcmePhoto

Just dropping by as a Phx area resident to say we have a wonderful botanical garden here and a nice zoo. These are located about 3 miles east of downtown Phx. Check out the Desert Botanical Garden and the Phoenix Zoo. By the way, these are located in our Papago Park which contains very dramatic red sandstone mountain/rock formations. Together these will take at least a half a day or more to fully enjoy.

Also there are hiking trails in the city of Phx in the various moutain preserves. We have about 6 or 7 different mountain preserves that together form the largest urban parklands system in the country. These preserves (Camelback Mountain, Squaw Peak/Piestewa Peak, North Mountain, South Mountain, etc.) are natural desert landscapes with easy to difficult trails through and up the mountains and passes. There are places where you cannot see the city as you are surrounded by nature.

The city of Phx also has the world class Phoenix Art Museum just a mile north of downtown. The Heard Museum, which is focused solely on Native American Arts, is in that area too as well as having a satellite museum up in the NE Valley in the Carefree AZ area. In the NW Valley there is a Rock Art Museum with thousands of petroglyphs covering an entire hillside.

Cave Creek and Carefree are other picturesque places to visit and from there it's a short drive to either the east and Tonto National Forest (Bartlett Lake) or about an hour west to Wickenburg (with Lake Pleasant on the way). Both drives take you through very lush desert vegetation -- this area just north of Phx has been called the most beautiful desert in the world as it's more thickly vegetated than all the others.

Frank Lloyd Wright's studio and school is also over in Scottsdale nestled in the natural desert landscape on the side of a mountain and there are a few of his buildings around town too, most notably the Gammage Center in Tempe near ASU.

Lots of the other suggestions here were great for out of town, just thought I'd give you some more in-town options. Enjoy!

Thanks for the information - we'll study the options.
    I read something interesting about making a day trip to Salt River Canyon.

Do the locals agree? Maybe an excursion on Wednesday after convention, instead of making the mad rush to fly out!

Open for suggestions......
    Last edited by George_Hawkins; 10-19-2008 at 01:07 PM.
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

Wanted to bring this thread back ..... listening for suggestions!
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

geo,
    go to sedona, just a magical place. have lunch at the enchantment resort. expensive, but lunch is more affordable. really upscale menu with a great view of the red rocks. you'll need to make reservations in advance, it's very popular.
    if you have a full day there, i'ld highly recommend going over to the sedona airport. (you'll need a reservation)
    you could rent a plane to take you to the grand canon for the day. the planes carry just 3 passengers. it leaves about 8:45 in the morning and returns about 3:30? the pilot gives you a tour of the area on the way, lands at the grand canon and you board a van(pilot is your driver) you tour around the different views of the canon and stop for lunch(included) more stops along the canon ridge and you fly back to sedona airport.
    whole trip cost is under $400 per person. worth it! i've done it twice.
    now, you don't get down into the canon, just along thge ridge looking down and across.
    geo, i wish i could tell you the name of the airline company, but you should be able to find info online.
    have fun,
    joe

Fantastic idea! My "plan" was that if I could go to Phoenix several days early, rent economy car, and stay one night at Canyon Rim, to capture both sunset & sunrise. Others have said stop in Sedona, also, as I know PHX to Canyon may take 4-5 hours. Lots to stop on the way.

Several years ago friends stayed at a room a brief walk from rim, and suggested.

George
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

Default Slot Canyon Trip

I've been seeing photos taken in the slot canyons for many years, and now that I'm getting a chance to go to Phoenix, I was wondering - which one is the best one to go see??? I've heard Antelope Canyon mentioned, but don't know if this one is the best. Any suggestions from the Arizona locals would be helpful. Thanks.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Very interesting Rick. I googled and did some viewing; more are north in Utah, but some in AZ appear quite interesting geology. Thinking there is one on the list near Sedona.
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

Default Thank you all.

Anyone else willing to post some thoughts?
    Ideas on economical, but not trashy, accommodations while out touring?

Thank you, George
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.