Imaging 2009 Phoenix - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Again Thanks to the posts, recently.
    Makes me want to fly on on Sunday or Monday and have the days available to do the "tours" written, till Saturday to be in Phoenix for Imaging, and fly out Wednesday or Thursday.

I've bounced around on National Park websites and feel it'd be a great opportunity if I could stay at least one night within GC Park: a chance to be there at sunset & sunrise. A room can be booked for under $100, if one is careful.

George

I am convinced that aircraft fuel prices will rise, forcing airlines to raise ticket prices, so flight reservations should be made soon.
    Last edited by George_Hawkins; 06-29-2008 at 02:07 AM.
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

George - There's a lodge (Phantom Ranch) at the bottom of the Grand Canyon too if you're up for a long walk. It will be a LOT warmer down there and the views from the bottom are magnificent. It's probably too late to reserve though.

David, The long walk down is very interesting, BUT I wish I were younger AND had more time for travels. Thanks for the maps and those thoughts. Now I want to save the thread and any added posts.
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

Stacey,

I've done three different tours in Canyon De Chelle.

The first time I went there, I did a week long back pack. There were about ten of us and a Navajo guide. We started at the very beginning of the Canyon, before it's really a canyon and followed the creek all the way down by foot, camping along the way. Then we stayed a couple of nights at our guides hogan at the bottom of the canyon and hiked back up Canyon Del Muerto (spelling) for two more days. It was one of the best backpacking experiences in my life, although I didn't do much photography.

I've also done a "shake and bake" tour, which is a great way to see a lot of the canyon in a day. This is where they load you in the back of a large jeep type vehicle and drive you up the canyon. I have also ridden horse back up the canyon, which was pretty cool until my horse threw me.

If you want to go into the canyon you should hook up with one of the guided tours. Otherwise you can only go to White House Ruins, which is a nice hike, but only a glimpse of the canyon.

As for the Hopi Mesas they are awesome, but I've spent very little time there. I've only stopped there once my way home from Canyon De Chelle.

Just to be safe, I booked hotel room last night; made it for extra days at either end, and I'll change it as my plans firm up. Half mile walk from Convention Center - Super Eight, under $100!

Registration forms are now posted!
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

183 views! Let's see more comments & thoughts about travel. PLEASE.
    Am I the only one who'd like input, to make general plans, so that I can book flight before tickets rise in price, based on aircraft fuel!
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

Default Flights

Risen in less than a week since I browsed Jet Blue, Air Tran and Continental. Instead of many choices to redeem points, there is one flight available!

George

PS Website with ton of info and links especially scenic drives!

http://www.azcentral.com/travel/
    Last edited by George_Hawkins; 07-04-2008 at 04:07 PM. Reason: great travel site found
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

Hello, I have some great input, but thought more might post.

I spent some time last night on many sites and azcentral, which is great, with state map on counter. I think I have a very preliminary idea to drive north but on some back roads, Cottonwood, Sedona areas, next day to Grand Canyon National Park staying overnight to view both sunset & sunrise. Exit park to east, and return another way. I read about Salt River Canyon, which might be the return route.

Thanks to previous posts which are so very interesting. I want to avoid weekends on the road, so I think before Imaging is best. There may not be adequate time to start off on day of flight arrival. If I had my druthers, I'd fly Monday, but tickets are less on Tuesday.

Anyone for multiple vehicles? I've come across hotel rooms for under $95.
    If one is taking days off for convention, why not add a few for travel such as this?

George
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

It's been a month!!!

Will anyone post more ideas?
    Are there others who live in the area, with suggestions?
    Maybe any AZ PPA member?

Thanks, George
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by George_Hawkins; 08-10-2008 at 12:14 AM.
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

I too wouldn't mind flying in a day or two early. I hate driving! What's worth shooting thats a 2 hour drive (or less) from Downtown Phoenix?